Greetings from Down South

tnyankee

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I thought I should introduce myself since I have requested a couple of build sheet requests.

I recently acquired two OT Yankee AA grade canoes from different sources. The first is a 1936 AA serial number 117675 with half ribs and has been fiberglassed. I will eventually get that stuff off and recanvas it, but for now I will use it as is while I work on the second one I got. It is a 1934 AA grade with floor rack and painted in design number 16 serial number 114258. The person I got it from reports it was in the family since new. The wood is in excellent condition and I am hoping for a relatively straightforward restoration The original canvas is still on, but needs to be redone.

I have a couple of questions.

1) When purchasing canvas, how many feet are needed for a 16ft canoe?

2) What strippers have people had the best results with on the ribs and planking?

Any other thoughts are welcome. I have been reading thread after thread to do my best to learn, but realize most of the learning will have to be hands on.

At any rate, Hello to you all and thanks for tips and help so far and for any that may be coming in the future.

If anyone is in the Tn let me know...I would love to know who is in the area.

Adam

You will need

canvas at least two feet longer than the canoe, so for a 16' boat buy at least 18'. There are several threads on here that talk about stripper. Do a search I'm sure you will come up with some good tips. I have used Strypease [sp?] with good results - likely killed some brain cells in the process, but what the heck. Remove the seats and the decks first. Leave the thwarts in place so the boat does not go out of shape. Strip and scrape and use a plastic scrub brush, hose it out. Avoid the temptation to use a power washer. Do it outside, you'll need all day. Good luck, have fun.

Jim C.

I am hoping to have lots of fun both in the restoration process and the paddling afterward. Once we finish the '34, we will also work on a '48 Penn Yan square stern my dad has....it needs much more work, but we can't wait to get it back on the water.

Adam

Back