Great Rivers Canoe workshop

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
Only days away and we still have space for a few more canoe nuts.

So contact me if you wish to attend.

Thanks,

Paul

Outboard motor fans

For you outboard motor fans, we will have a special guest attending our workshop.

The Grandson of Harry L. Johnson one the founding brothers of the Johnson Outboard Motors. Harry is his name also. His grandfather purchased an Old Town Canoe for his mother(the seniors daughter) back in about 1931. That canoe has disappeared and he wants to find one to replace it and restore it himself.

We have some great things planed and still have spots open.

Thanks,

Paul

Great time had by all

We had great weather, 13 or 14 guys show up along with 4 canoes to ID and diagnose.

The first project was to reinstall the repaired decks on a very early Rushton Indian (not and Indian Girl). We discussed how to repair decks with stripped screw holes.

Then we stretched canvas and went all the way through filling the canvas. I showed my helpful tip of cutting the stretched canvas in order to pull the canvas tight to the gunnel further up to the stem before cutting the canoe down from the stretcher.

We rolled on the first two coats of filler and rubbed them out with the canvas mitts. I then roll the third coat and rub it out by hand after about 10 minutes. This leaves a very smooth surface that require little or no sanding.

We also attempted to steam bend a few stems and learned a few things by breaking them.

Lunch was served and the shooting began. We tried to get everyone to take a shot and had a great time. We have some very good shots in the group.

After lunch we viewed the canoes and offered our suggestions on repairs. We had a Mullins Yale, 15" St. Louis Arrowhead decked canoe, and a few OT's.

We did some rib tip replacement and went though a few other topics about paint and finish.

We will have pictures to post in a few days, so keep tuned in.

Thanks to all that were able to come and share their canoe knowledge.

Paul

Back