Great Rivers Boathouse Symposium

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
Hi All,

IT is that time of the year and time to announce the Third Annual Restorer's Boathouse Symposium at my home in Elburn, IL.

We have had two great events and hope this to be the best. Turnout is always good and we learn new things and talk with old friends.

Keep in mind there is lodging available for those who might be traveling a long distance.

I have posted a few pictures from our past events.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Paul

Attachments

• BOATHOUSE SYMPOSIUM INVITE 09 wcha.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0028_1.JPG
    IMG_0028_1.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 469
  • Restorers_Boathouse_Symposium_WCHA_GRC_07_061.jpg
    Restorers_Boathouse_Symposium_WCHA_GRC_07_061.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 467
Just a reminder about the Restorer's Boathouse Symposium on May 30th.

We will have 3 or 4 more new canoes to inspect, Dean Sunnyside Cruiser and Racing Peterborough (Peter Mueller's), an 1921 Old Town Molitor and a 1934 17' wood canvas kayak build like a canoe.

Please let me know if you'll be able to join us.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi All,

The turnout was light, Five total.

We may have spent more time shooting than canoe building. Four of the five participants brought shotguns.

We did go though the process of making a jig for steam bending gunnels for your usual OT Otca, HW, Charles River, Yankee. We made a very simple jig fixed to a table that could be removed attached to the gunnel as we put the other end in the steam box. We steamed some Sitka spruce and bent them laying on the table. The one I bent the previous day fit perfect to the 16' Yankee we were working on.

I demonstrated a system for the difficult job of replacing a piece of plank that runs from verticle to hoizontal and that went well, you might notice the piece of wood is dry.

We also spent a good deal of time inspecting a large variety of canoes, their details, and how to indentify them.

Please enjoy the attached pictures.

Paul

Attachments

• shooting.jpg
    shooting.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 393
  • 3579721219_bdfbe93ac0[1].jpg
    3579721219_bdfbe93ac0[1].jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 414
Hi Paul,

It looks like fun! Is that Peter's Willits I see there in the background? And, more importantly, what is that beautiful long deck in the foreground?

The following is a link to pictures taken by Brad Cornelius at the workshop.

My Willits is number 413 built in the early 30's you will notice they were still using Mahogany for the seats. I purchased mine from Pat Chapman 6 or 8 years ago. All I had to do was refinish it.

The long deck courting canoe is what I believe to be a H.B. Arnold based on the type style of the serial number. The canoe behind the Arnold is a 60's OT Molitor, then a Herald Double Cedar and then the Willits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bredlo/sets/72157619025573588/

Thanks again to Brad for the great pictures. He did have to leave early and missed a few other things the rest of us were to lazy to take pics.

Thanks,

Paul

wow

that is kool. What a combination, I love breaking clays with my antique side by side. Box lock like the one in the albums. Great pictures, shame about the distance.:mad:

Canoes & guns

Canoes & guns - Life doesn't get any better than that. Attached is a picture of one of the guns I built. I'm not into breaking clays, my passion runs more to the Rev. period. Wish I could have been there, looks like you had a great time.

Attachments

• rifle butt.jpg
    rifle butt.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 375
Very nice, guess you spend some time on Track of the Wolf? Is that rifled or smoothbore? I've wanted a Schimmel for some time, nice plain old poor boy with iron furniture. Maybe soon. Had used a 69cal Pottsdam for a while, belonged to a friend who didnt know anything about it. Original converted to cap for the war of Northern agression. Lots of fun but ate up the powder quickly!

Back