Grand Laker ?

Dana Standley

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings !
I am new to this forum and will be posting some pics soon. This past weekend I bought what I believe to be a Grand Laker canoe. 19'-7" with glass over cedar. It's in pretty good overall shape but needs some TLC. The registration says 1960 but the seller believed it's a little older from the early - mid 1950's. 21" transom width and a 44" beam. Is it possible to determine the builder by certain characteristics ? such as the Breasthook ?

I'll post pics as soon as I take some good ones, thanks for reading !

Dana

Can anyone tell me what the maximum file size is for uploading pictures ?
My jpg files AND reduced size pdf copies are between 3.5 MB and 4.3MB and will not load ?

Thanks

Here are pictures of the canoe.
it appears to have a single layer of fiberglass over the hull (poorly done and will need some repair and filling/fairing) and as it sits it weighs 170 lbs.
19'-6" LOA, 44" beam, 20" transom. Transom height exterior is about 14" (there's an aluminum bracket bolted over the transom that I will remove and inspect)
The average interior height is 15" to 16", and the bow height is 32". The rear seat is not original and has been angled to port to make steering easier I suspect.
The front seat has been added by installing 2 large cleats that are thru-bolted to the hull, and the fow'd thwart is not original, nor is it in the right place. There should be 3 thwarts fow'd of amidships that I will fabricate and install. I have added a closeup of the breast-hook, which I don't think is the original piece, this one looks like oak.

Any thoughts on the year, maker, etc, etc.....

Thanks !
IMG_20190824_162811.jpg
IMG_20190824_163026.jpg
IMG_20190824_163255.jpg
IMG_20190824_163006.jpg
IMG_20190824_162950.jpg
Dana

nice laker. contact Dale Tobey, if he doesnt show up here. He will tell you all about it. Grand Lake Stream.

Does anyone have a contact for Dale Tobey ? I'd really like to get more info on my boat before I start to rehab it.

Thanks !

Back