Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Gerrish rail length

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by skifree, Feb 13, 2013.

1. skifree

skifree Curious about Wooden Canoes

Does anyone know how far the rails extend beyond the stem on a Gerrish?

2. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

Pretty vauge question! What type of Gerrish?

3. OP
    OP
    skifree

A 17 footer heart shape deck,serial number 1757 on the stems.

4. 1905Gerrish

The rails overhang the stem by 1". I have # 1772 along with 5 other Gerrish's. Just put new rails on my myself. There is a picture in Rollin and Jerrys book on page 26 like our canoes. It should have a couple wraps of cane on it to when the rails are complete. A couple of questions because I am trying to start a log of Gerrish numbers and building practices. Your canoe is the 9th serial number I have now. Does your Gerrish have an all wood seats or does it have the heavy guage wire also? It should have a length stamped in the stems also? Closed gunnel I assume? Possible to post a few pics or send them to me private?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. OP
    OP
    skifree

Thank you for the rail length. The seats are all wood frame. The number 1757 is on both stems. Is your gerrish 1772 a 17 footer? Mine is closed gunnel.

6. SWEETWATER

SWEETWATER LOVES Wooden Canoes

pic.s please if you dont mind . i love to look at gerrish's

7. 1905Gerrish

# 1772 is a closed gunnel 18ft. It is deep, more of a lake canoe then river. The lines look nothing like the others I have. I seem to think the canoe was the last of the closed gunnels that Gerrish made. It is the latest serial # I have. Skifree, do you also have small carring handles located 6 inches or so from the decks?

8. OP
    OP
    skifree

Yes it has the handles. And it is 32 inch wide not sure of depth. The lines look just like a birch bark. It also has a round bottom.

9. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

This is an old post and the question is off topic so I'll start a new thread about the Gerrish SN's. What is the status of the list and can it be posted here for folks to add to?