Gerrish rail length

The rails overhang the stem by 1". I have # 1772 along with 5 other Gerrish's. Just put new rails on my myself. There is a picture in Rollin and Jerrys book on page 26 like our canoes. It should have a couple wraps of cane on it to when the rails are complete. A couple of questions because I am trying to start a log of Gerrish numbers and building practices. Your canoe is the 9th serial number I have now. Does your Gerrish have an all wood seats or does it have the heavy guage wire also? It should have a length stamped in the stems also? Closed gunnel I assume? Possible to post a few pics or send them to me private?

Last edited:
Thank you for the rail length. The seats are all wood frame. The number 1757 is on both stems. Is your gerrish 1772 a 17 footer? Mine is closed gunnel.

# 1772 is a closed gunnel 18ft. It is deep, more of a lake canoe then river. The lines look nothing like the others I have. I seem to think the canoe was the last of the closed gunnels that Gerrish made. It is the latest serial # I have. Skifree, do you also have small carring handles located 6 inches or so from the decks?

Yes it has the handles. And it is 32 inch wide not sure of depth. The lines look just like a birch bark. It also has a round bottom.

This is an old post and the question is off topic so I'll start a new thread about the Gerrish SN's. What is the status of the list and can it be posted here for folks to add to?

Back