Random Orbital sanders?

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
While sanding a rib this morning my third DeWalt random orbital sander fell apart. I can't buy another. What RO sanders do you use, and have found to be durable and reliable? Tom McClouid

Hi Tom,

I have been using a Porter Cable for years. I do sand the interiors by hand though, after Snappy-TeakNu; 120# then 220#. It is quieter and allows better concentration to whatever audiobook is playing...

Dan

I have a rigid orbital sander that I have put through hell but it still works. I expect to have to replace it soon, but it just keeps working. I have had to replace a bearing, which was easy to do, but wasn't the easiest part to get.

Mark

Last edited:
I have been happy with a Bosch ROS65VC sander for several years -- a bit pricier than some, but quite powerful, and most important, it has very little vibration -- designed with an anti-vibration mechanism that works. No durability problems, but then, I probably don't use it as much as some folks.

I'm currently using a Porter Cable. I don't expect it to last forever. I've had four others self destruct including a Bosch, a B&D and a Ryobi. My belt sander also gave up on me recently. Apparently canoes are hard on sanders.

I like the Porter Cable. It has been through a lot of boat repairs.
I had a Ryobi orbital sander with the little disc that stay on with velcro. I just threw it in the trash.
I have a belt sander but don't use it on boats much.

Back