Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Free To a Good Home....

Discussion in 'Birchbarks, Dugouts and Primitive Craft' started by shelldrake, May 28, 2019.

1. shelldrake

shelldrake LOVES Wooden Canoes

A friend of mine saved this birchbark from the burn pile and would like to give it away. Here is what he knows about it:

- The canoe was built in the Trois-Rivie'res area of Quebec, by native Americans
    - it hung in the lodge at a summer camp called Camp Norway on Fairlee Lake in Fairlee Vermont in the 1950's and 1960's. Stored in the barn since then.
    - no holes in the bottom but one end is broken off and the piece is with the canoe
    - 12'
    - Canoe located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with my friend.

Matt

IMG_5424 (1).jpg IMG_5428.jpg IMG_5429.jpg IMG_5430.jpg IMG_5424 (1).jpg IMG_5428.jpg

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Looks like a job for Ferdy.....

Kent E. Nord likes this.
  3. Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

Hi Matt, not sure your friend still has this canoe but I'd be more than happy to have a go at it. I love a challenge and any old wood/bark canoe regardless of it's condition deserves to be put back on the water.
    Thanks let me know what contact info of mine you need?
    Gary

4. OP
    OP
    shelldrake

Hi Gary,

Yes, still available.

Just send me a personal reply with your contact info and I'll get you guys in touch.

Matt

5. Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

Hi Matt,

Gary Shaver 613 821-0014 shavers@bell.net that is in Ottawa Canada. Member WCHA, restore old unwanted canoes as a hobby, always get them back in the water.

Thank you, Gary

6. OP
    OP
    shelldrake

OK Gary. I'll have my friend get in touch with you. His name is Keith Lockwood.

Matt

7. Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your help. I spent my summers growing up near Maniwaki Quebec where some of Canada's best birch bark canoe builders lived. I've always wanted to own one. I hope it works out?
    Gary

8. beaver

beaver Birchbark CanoeingBuilder

I have fixed worse. Let me know how it turns out.

Andre Cloutier likes this.