Filler or primer over canvas

Nils

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all, I am about to recanvas my boat and I have a question regarding fillers. I am working on the boat outside as I don’t have a garage nor access to one. I am trying to decide whether I am able to use mastic filler and cover up the boat outside while it sits, or whether I should use Zinsser primer as the filler as it sets much quicker.
I am hoping someone can give me an idea as to whether it is possible to use mastic and have it stored outside, covered up, or if I should go the route of the Zinsser in my scenario.

again, thanks for all the input.

Nils

another option would be a latex exterior primer such as Pro Block from Sherwin Williams. That's what I've settled on and like it better than Zinsser. I don't have experience with mastic. The latex dries quick and I can put two or three coats on in a day. The last coat or two I add lightweight latex exterior spackle 50/50 or so. I sand between coats. and I use a plastic spatula to smooth it. The auto body kind of spatula. Primer and paint adhere well for me. I've not had issues with enamel over latex.

Back