Faber stem configuration

Rod Tait (Orca Boats)

Designer/Builder
I am working on a Faber canoe and inwales appear to have been done in the past, but there is quite a gap between them in the ends which was covered by stem band and it appears that there was a "post" at the top of the stem similar to chestnuts. Any photos of how they were originally done as may have to scarf in new inwale ends and repair stem tops.

Hi Rod. Faber ends are basically the same as Chestnut. The inwales end with an even gap of about 3/16" which is barely covered by the stem band. The stem tip is cut to fit the same width as the gap. I feel Faber canoes are one of the best built plus their use of spruce inwales and outwales makes them at least 5 lbs. lighter than other comparable canoes such as Chestnut. Cheers, Dave.

Here is photo of the inwale joint as it is now. The stem band barely covered the gap.
20171127_074413.jpg

Hi Katie, I am not aware of any Faber deck decals available any where except the ones I had specially made. Unfortunately, due to health reasons, I can no longer restore canoes and have just given everything to my brother in-law. He is not a WCHA member. Keven Atchison, located in Sooke, B.C. Ph.# 1 250 642 6031. I’m sure he would love to talk to you, may not even know he probably has the only orange Faber Decals that exist. Good luck. Dave Lanthier, member # 7591

Back