Ever see this before?

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
I've started work on OT 167066 15 and am sure it is original canvas. It is attached with tacks and there is only one set of tack holes. On one end only, under the canvas I found a section of canvas on either side. It's is tacked at the stem and gunnels. Here's a photo. Anyone able to explain what this could be? Thanks in advance.
Dave Wermuth, whisperer of derelict canoes..in lovely Lapeer.

Attachments

• image0000041.jpg
    image0000041.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 398
Oh, and here are the pieces in their entirety. That's the whole piece for each side. Is it to smooth out the plank edges? Cover tack heads on both sides? Something to do with the stem... I'm stymied at the moment.

Attachments

• image0000081.jpg
    image0000081.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 291
IN case anyone is interested, after removing the strip of canvas along the stem I learned that the stem was split. The first layer of canvas was fastened by normal small tacks and the top layer of canvas was fastened with 3/4" copper ring nails. I am certain this canoe was on it's first cover of canvas and not a recanvas.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a split stem being fixed with canvas patches on the sides... Have pictures?

Me too Paul. Doesn't make sense. And the build sheet says it was green, but under the yellow I am hard pressed to find any green, maybe some faint shades of it. If you can see this photo there's not much to learn. The piece of canvas and the stem is still covered here. The other end is fine. And for the life of me, there is only one set of holes for canvas tacks along the gunnels. I',m assuming that the green was sanded off before the yellow was applied.
image0000021.jpg

The nails in the stem face are the same as the ones holding the planking to the stem sides. 3/4" copper ring nail. Maybe the new guy at the factory grabbed the wrong fastener and then tried to fix it? But for the life of me, I can't figure how the extra canvas and split stem are connected.

Attachments

• split stem.jpg
    split stem.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 232
I’ve never seen canvas under the canvas on an Old Town.
I did a Morris one time that revealed a double canvas from chine to chine, held on with the tiniest brass tacks known to man.

Back