Epoxy or glue

ByrneMan

I am working on a strip canoe kit from NewFound Woodworks and am struggling to get answers to my questions due to the recent death of the owner. The DVD shows the football being epoxied but I prefer to use the same glue I have been using for the rest of the strips. Any advice? I need to get things moving so I can fiberglass the outside before it gets too cold in my garage.

I haven't seen their DVD or instructions so I don't know their context, but I have never used epoxy to glue strips together on any boat - on the football or anywhere else on the hull. One thing about glue is that once your glue bond exceeds the wood's grain strength (causing joints to break at the wood, not the glue, which is pretty easy for most wood glue when used on softwoods) that's all she wrote. You can't get more joint strength than that, no matter what glue you use. So I can't see any reason to use epoxy for the stripping when the job can be done just fine with cheaper, easier to use adhesives.

Just to add to this tread for future reference
Do not use epoxy to glue the strips together. The wood is too soft when you try to sand off the excess epoxy.
Also after the strips have been glued together. Here a little trick on the same line
You will have gaps before you add the fibreglass make sure you mask either sides of the gaps before you fill them with epoxy.
Hope this helps

Back