Epifane's Yacht Enamel colors...

My Daughter graduated from Saint Lawrence University and, unless I'm seeing that bottom paint color wrong, that combination would play quite well there.
index.php
I am not sure what tones St. Lawrence University uses for its "Scarlet and Brown" school colors, but Jerry Stelmok used Pettit's E-Z Poxy Topside Boat Paint "Fire Red" and Zinsser's Bulls Eye amber shellac for those colors. The picture above shows the brand new canoe; five seasons later, the red paint is in excellent shape; the shellac bottom shows some weathering and scuffing. During that time, I have minimized a few small bottom scuffs by simply wiping with alcohol, and overall, weathering/aging seems to have thinned the shellac coating over most of the bottom, even though the canoe is generally kept inside a garage. It will probably be too cold when I next make it up to Maine, so come next spring, I expect to put a new coat of shellac on the bottom. I'll may try spraying it on to avoid the minimal blotching that can occur when brushing shellac.

On the chance that Andre is still driving his truck around in Ottawa, I recall a previous thread where Andre recommended a flattener to knock back obnoxiously shiny Rustoleum paint. The canoe was repainted after the paint was thinned one to one and it looked much better.
You might need to experiment and try a test with less than a one-to-one blend just to see what you think about it.
Or stick around. The wicked Firestarter may be lurking.

The wicked Firestarter may be lurking. Indeed, busy adding to my collection of grotesque front deck rings. Interlux' product prescribes rations on the can IIRC, and its kind of a 'by feel' type of mixing. As each subsequent coat dries, you can increase or decrease ratios in order to achieve the desired sheen ( though i only top coat with it, base coats on up i dont bother and once the build up is satisfactory i sand it lightly and the satin coat goes on). Its a large proportion of flattener to paint and is a little disconcerting at first, but i use it with Epifanes all the time and it works great. Looks nice alongside satin varnish. Fred i think i remember you having an affinity for Peterborough 1492s, this was one of mine.

restored_canoe.jpg

Back