ebay canoe

why so low?

Hi Francois,
This is a beautiful canoe. $1500 seems like a low price. Curious how can you consider parting with this canoe for such a low starting bid?

That is indeed very low but it is my major problem as a birchbark canoe builder, I can't seem to sell my canoes for what they are worth for. I am a good builder but a useless seller! If you could help me, I would appreciate. I have to say I am far away from the market and transportation is always a problem.

That is indeed very low but it is my major problem as a birchbark canoe builder, I can't seem to sell my canoes for what they are worth for. I am a good builder but a useless seller! If you could help me, I would appreciate.

Francois,
I suggest that some attention to marketing could establish your visibility and reputation, which would enable you to charge (much) more. Do you have a good website? Are you blogging or sending out an e-newsletter? Doing talks, presentations, demonstrations? Start by taking a look at the websites of other bark canoe builders; see how they present themselves with an image of high quality and respect for tradition and take your cues from them.

I would agree that your price is too low....and for the need to market....as Bob H. states it's all about getting yourself known....website, talks, presentations etc. From the pictures, it seems that you defintely have a "product"....I believe there is a limited number of bark builders, certainly good builders at least....and it seems that those that are building are able to sell what they choose, at a price that still may not totally reflect the number of hours involved or the level of workmanship, but at least more so than your starting bid does....if you sell yourself too short, then you definitely sell yourself short....you may want to rethink your price to reflect your work involved....and the apparent quality of the work done....and check out others' websites....as Bob H. says with an eye to the respect for tradition and high quality that others maintain

Francois, just another quick comment....I clicked on your homepage section of your profile here on WCHA and was directed to a great YouTube video of your canoe building....good marketing tool with email address included at end....but you do need a website too

Last edited:
Back