Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

E. M. White catalogs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Small Craft' started by normsims, Jan 18, 2012.

1. normsims

normsims Morris canoe fan

Does anyone know of a source for E.M. White catalogs for boats other than canoes? I have the catalogs for his canoes, but White built a lot of other boats including skiffs. Any sources?

Norm

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

4. OP
    OP
    normsims

Do the catalogs list a Sebago skiff?

Norm

5. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

I don't recall ever seeing a Sebago skiff mentioned in any White catalog but that collection has five catalogs from the Sebago Boat and Canoe Company which offered a variety of small boats. One of the early boats from this company is shown at http://www.mainememory.net/artifact/18171/ in the Sebago Historical Society collection.

Benson

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    normsims

Sebago Skiff

Benson turned out to be exactly correct, as usual. The boat is a 16-foot smooth lapstrake Sebago skiff built in East Sebago, Maine, by Curtis Sanborn and Carlton Martin somewhere between 1890 and 1920. It's related to a lot of Northeastern skiffs generally named after bodies of water such as the St. Lawrence skiff, Chesapeake Bay skiff, Lake George skiff, Rangeley Lake skiff, and also to the double-end canoes made by Old Town and White. Sebago is a big lake in Maine.

Kevin Martin restored the skiff--it didn't need much work--and last weekend I launched it on the Connecticut River. It's a lovely boat on the water, stable, and takes waves well. I'll attach a picture of how it looked before Kevin worked on it, and a couple shots from its first day back on the water.

Norm

Attached Files:

7. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Very nice! I love boats like these...

Dan