Duluth MN museum Bark canoe

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have been told that there is/was a bark canoe stored in a museum in Duluth, MN. The canoe was reportedly made in the 1930's then donated to the museum possibly in the 1960-70's. Does anyone else know of this canoe?

I think there is at least one BB that belongs to the St. Louis County Historical Society on permanent display in their space in the upper rooms of the train depot downtown. If you go don't forget to visit the Minnehaha Tiffany window that is on display in the lobby of the attached theater - used to be in the old public library. The city was going to sell it in the late 2000's to try and balance the budget - crazy!! Aside from the transportation museum of course also amazing.

I have been told that there is/was a bark canoe stored in a museum in Duluth, MN. The canoe was reportedly made in the 1930's then donated to the museum possibly in the 1960-70's. Does anyone else know of this canoe?
Who told you that?....get some pictures so that I may try to ID this supposed bark canoe.

Hey all - I just quickly corresponded with the collections manager at the St. Louis County Historical Society in Duluth.

They have two BB's in the permanent collection and they have one on loan - I'm trying to get a bit more info as I'm curious now.

Ferdy - I bought a crooked knife from you a while back - have been using it to make paddles!! If you have the time it would be interesting for you to go ID the canoes??

Back