Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Double Blade Paddle

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by Craig Johnson, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

A while back I was soloing when the wind picked up. Wasn't to bad but I was tired and didn't feel like I was making much progress. Both of my paddles have long flat grips so I tried holding them together and using them like a double blade paddle. It worked pretty well so I decided to try to make a couple paddles that would clip together. Here is what I came up with. The cam locks are deer antler. Paddles are sassafras.
    Too much time on my hands I guess.
    Just polishing up my skills before I start in on that American Chestnut I got from Andre. Thats next.

Attached Files:

2. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Just a bit of genius in that. Well done!

I've lashed two paddles together, to get the same effect, but that was simple. This is a whole lot more solid...

3. millie_sass

millie_sass Canoe anybody?

Lovely Project

What a beautiful paddle! Do you think I need one of these? Or should I concentrate on the J-stroke -- using a longer slimmer blade?

4. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

Thanks Millie. Stick with learning to control a canoe with a single paddle, a double blade is a poor substitute, although useful in some circumstances.

5. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

As skills are developed with the single-bladed paddle, the perceived need for the double-bladed paddle decreases. You reach a point where the only time you might need a double-blade is going upstream, and against the wind. But a canoe pole works better than a double-bladed paddle...