Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Don't think I can fix it.

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by sjmoore69, Apr 3, 2015.

1. sjmoore69

sjmoore69 Curious about Wooden Canoes

I saw this under a building and had to look. I don't have the experience to undertake such a project. Would this be better off hanging from the rafters?
    1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

steve

2. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

It's hard to tell just how much needs to be done on this canoe from the photos, but I would guess, based on your earlier posts on the stripper you built, that repair/restoration of this canoe is well within your abilities.

Before making any decision about whether and how to repair or restore a canoe, you would do well to get, or at least look at -- "The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A Complete Guide to its History, Construction, Restoration, and Maintenance" by Rollin Thurlow and Jerry Stelmok, and/or "Building the Maine Guide Canoe" by Jerry Stelmok.

The first is often called the "bible" of canoe repair, restoration, and maintenance; the second is an excellent study of the wooden/canvas canoe and its construction.

The woodworking/boatbuilding techniques used for a wood/canvas canoe are different than those used for a stripper -- but not necessarily more difficult.

The canoe appears to be a good fixer-upper project, and should not be left to merely hang, unused, from the rafters of a barn or crawl space. My 2 cents.

Greg