Does anyone know anything about this old canoe?

ScottyM

This canoe has been in our family for decades and nobody seems to know where it came from originally. It does have a name on the front but I can't really make out the actual letters. Is there anyone on this forum that can provide some information about it? I'm sorry about the pictures as I couldn't get the canoe down from the hangers in the garage to take better pictures.
It is +/-14' with a +/- 30" beam.
Thank you,
Scotty
OLD Canoe (inside).JPG

OLD Canoe.jpg
OLD Canoe (Bottom).jpg

You can search this forum for cold molded plywood canoes. There may be some info there. It may be a Haskell Canoe.
Odd that it has what I would call bilge staves.
They would have been attached to protect the hull on rocky river paddling.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response. I did hunt around but couldn't really find a close enough match...although I am a complete noob to the forum :D
Cheers,
Scott

Hi Scotty,
That's a pretty unusual canoe. I don't think it's a Haskell. They made a 16' foot canoe in 1917 and a 17' canoe from 1922 to around 1934, but nothing I've seen suggests they ever made a 14 footer. They also did not use a keelson. They did use a similar wide brass cover on the stems, but they attached it with a line of small nails at the edges, not fasteners along the center line. Haskell's stem covers didn't run the full length of the canoe, either.
Are the strips on the bottom brass? Riveted on?
Walt

Scotty, it would be good to change the hanging setup, or at least flip the canoe over to the other side periodically, so it doesn't get deformed.
People often post pictures on these forums of canoes with a flat spot on one side due to storage that doesn't support the hull uniformly, such as leaned up against a wall.

The French like to add lots of bilge keels to their canoes to protect them in rocky rivers. (They like them so much that I have seen plastic boats with bilge keels moulded in!)
The name of the boat could also be French because of the accent on the 'e'
Is there maybe a french connection?
Sam

There are quite a few interesting things about that boat.
To my eye the most intriguing thing is the "White" style stem covers. How often do those turn up on anything else?

Back