Dinghy ID

NedL

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I acquired this little dinghy more than 40 years ago and now after being safely kept in the custodial care of a relative for more than the past 20 years she just came back to me.
I have never figured out who built her and thought I might toss the question out here . This is really more of a curiosity than any real need.
The row lock sockets are typical OldTown, but nothing else about her says OldTown to me. There is a serial number (163809) on the base of the stem only. She is not a Penn Yan either. Any other thoughts? The rub rail is very convex, intended to have a large diameter line set in it and screwed in place there as a 'fender surface'. Overall she is in very nice condition and I am hoping to put her back together in the not too distant future. Her transom needs a good bit of attention but that is her biggest issue.
Any thoughts?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Congratulations, my guess is that you have an Old Town dinghy with serial number 163809. This is a nine foot long, AA (or top) grade, dinghy with half ribs, a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. It was built between July, 1955 and May, 1956. The original exterior paint color was white. It shipped on May 25th, 1956 to Red Bank, New Jersey. A scan showing this build record and the 1956 catalog page can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below.

163809.jpg PAGE-22.jpg

This build record scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your dinghy. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Last edited:
Oh WOW!!!! Thank you Benson. I certainly didn't think she is an OldTown. She certainly did not get far from home before I got her (all of about 5 miles from Red Bank to where she was given to me. I also know Irwins yacht works very well. They are still there, it is the oldest single family owned boat yard / marina in the country.

....... It is amazing that she was only 20 years old when given to me and I don't think she has spent even two nights outside since then. she had not the best care for those first 20.

Last edited:
That's a great dinghy! I know the area well I used to winter my sailboat in Sea Bright and just did a restoration in Fair Haven.

She will certainly get a proper rebuild with proper canvas. I just have to figure out the order of boats, ....... I have only seven in line, and picking up another this weekend (yes, one is a w&c canoe), and that doesn't include the 63 yr old 33 ft wood boat that I have to get ready for the water soon. Lol!
As a matter of fact, I will be in Red Bank this coming weekend.

the transom is about to come out of the dinghy, otherwise it is in great condition. Not a single cracked rib and just one small area of planking issue about the size of a quarter.

Back