Deforestation and mahogany use

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Okay, I'm hearing that they are really ramping up cutting the forest again in the Amazon. This is hugely disturbing to me and got me wondering about South American Mahogany I occasionally use as well as runabout boat builders/restorers. I thought because it costs so much that they saw value in replanting. Anyone have insight to this and educate us here? I think since the majority of us are people that care deeply about paddling in unmolested waters that we should be asking questions like this. Thoughts?

Re-planting may or may not, in fact, be occurring, but how long does it take re-planted trees to reach "harvestable" size? The cycle time on sustainability may be longer than our lifespans. I use reclaimed mahogany, if at all.

Good question. I would like to know more about this myself. I think WoodenBoat Mag did a series of articles or at least an article about mahogany and sustainable wood. I think quite a bit of genuine mahogany is farmed, but don't quote me. I almost think that buying cheaper "meranti' may be more destructive. They wholesale log everything that looks like that and sell it.

Fiji plantations have the solution it seems as they have a lot of sustainable material. I suspect we are covered here. Dave

Back