Danish Struer racing Kayak

Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
This is a late fifties mahogany veneer k-1 flatwater racing kayak made by the Struer Company. It has had some alterations and some poor storage. The rudder was replaced with a skeg, the seat is missing,and the cockpit coaming had some rot. The hull itself was in fairly good shape with some veneer loss. Original parts aren't available from the manufacturer, so what it has will have to do.
The entire kayak is basically glued together. It's not quite finished. The cotton deck hasn't been shrunk, treated, and painted, and the hull needs a little more varnish. The dimensions are 17' long, 51cm wide(about 20") and 12kg weight(26lb). Its racing days are over, but it is an interesting boat.

Attachments

• nov5th003.jpg
    nov5th003.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 997
  • nov5th004.jpg
    nov5th004.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 794
  • struer001.jpg
    struer001.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 816
  • struer002.jpg
    struer002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 773
  • struer003.jpg
    struer003.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 839
  • struer004.jpg
    struer004.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 752
Some more photos. Definitely not a tripping kayak.

Attachments

• struer005.jpg
    struer005.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 699
  • struer006.jpg
    struer006.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 656
  • struer007.jpg
    struer007.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 716
Hey, this baby is almost finished, and it is a hanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If perchance, you are looking for a hanger/ decorator, do I have a deal for you. This kayak has been offered to several people and at least one big buck retailer for freeeeeeee, if they make a donation to charity. The charity that I've chosen is the Salvation Army in Toledo, Ohio. The amount is to be determined by the "buyer or whatever one might be called" ( Anybody who restores canoes, as I do, is obviously crazy.) It is going to the first person who agrees to that deal, and SHOWS UP FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!( ( since my wife has a master's degree in English, I know that the second first is RE-redundant or whatever) If nobody takes me up on this deal, I'll likely put it on Ebay (ughh). As those of you in the Great Lakes states know, times are tough and aren't likely to get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Those of us who can, should help as much as possible. (so much for the sermon, actually, as many of you know I'm really rotten.).

Opps, I almost forgot. The deck is cotton drill and painted red forward, white mid-section, and blue aft. I'll try to get some more photos posted next week. I did the painting so it is not as good as the painting shown on the photo of canoe OT # 92575 in the serial number section of the forums. When I over-restored that canoe, I had my local artist paint the design #1. She is a much better painter than I.

My local artist also painted the dark blue/ white/ gold / black design on the canoe in the background.

It looks like I've found a taker. I have a verbal commitment to the deal offered, from one of my long-time customers. But as Yogi once said "it ain't over 'til it's over."

Back