Cyanoacrylate tips?

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Woodworking friends, at our annual galoots (got a lot of old tools) Xmas BBQ were discussing use of Cyanoacrylate (CA) as a stabilizer and finish for lathe turned wooden pens.

I see from the Wiki entry that it is used for woodworking, can be mixed with sawdust (as well as baking soda!) for thickening. I also learned that CA causes an exothermic reaction in contact with cotton, so take precautions against burns and fire.

Has anyone used CA glue as an anti-splitting remedy for paddle tips? It comes in a wide variety of viscosities from runny to gel.

I also learned that CA causes an exothermic reaction in contact with cotton, so take precautions against burns and fire.

I have not used it on paddles, but I HAVE had it get on my (cotton) jeans. I had my hands full at the time and my jeans started smoking like crazy! It looked like it could catch on fire and the only thing I had in this emergency to quell the smoke was my own saliva. I started spitting on my fingers and rubbing it on the area, only to find that the glue was getting on my fingers and my lips. So I had to keep my fingers apart and my lips apart and I was right on the verge of panic when the smoke subsided.

It must have been a hilarious site.

Water, aka saliva, acts as an accelerator. When I glue planking on my ribs on my models, I wet them to not only form them easier, but it helps "kick" the glue. Beware, both kicker and water turn the glue white. Better work fast! Trade secret, don't tell anybody.

Back