clamp on rudder

martin ferwerda

W/C Canoes
Hi All,
One of my winter projects has been a clamp on rudder for my canoe, I wanted something that would not add any permanent hardware to the canoe itself. Thought people might find it interesting, have not had the chance to try it out yet. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• rudder005a.jpg
    rudder005a.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 807
  • rudder007a.jpg
    rudder007a.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,224
  • rudder008a.jpg
    rudder008a.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • rudder018a.jpg
    rudder018a.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 766
  • rudder020a.jpg
    rudder020a.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 760
I like the use of hand nuts to tighten the clamps.
If I were building it, I would use a pivoted rudder to facilitate crossing extreme shoals. Rigged so that as the rudder encountered the bottom, it would pivot aft and up to allow it to rise above the draft of the hull.
One of my future projects is also a keel trunk that could house a center swing keel that would do the same thing.
I am thinking of either a 17 foot square stern Old Town or a 20 foot tripper of the same make.:)

A kick up rudder is essential! Also, ensure the mount is UNMOVABLE laterally as there is much lateral torque applied under sail. To ensure that, on mine I have pads that engage the hull at the very aft on either side.
If it moves, it'll break. If it breaks, it'll sink. If you sink, you'll get eaten by sharks.

Pernicious Atavist said:
A kick up rudder is essential! Also, ensure the mount is UNMOVABLE laterally as there is much lateral torque applied under sail. To ensure that, on mine I have pads that engage the hull at the very aft on either side.
If it moves, it'll break. If it breaks, it'll sink. If you sink, you'll get eaten by sharks.

Iv'e noticed that. And I also noticed the pads. I'm betting that they are tough closed cell foam.

Phelonius

Pernicious Atavist said:
Actually, they are leather.
Did you try the canoe sailing magazine forum to post your question?

Yes, It looks like the place for my questions. I've been reading the magazine too.

Back