Chestnut Prospector from Early Ninties

Ok, it turns out that this is a Cedarwood canoe with a serial of 162416C1998.

Hope that helps. Anyone familiar with these? It does have a Chestnut logo on top of the bow, but it says something like "built on genuine Chestnut forms" or something to that effect and says Fredericton, NB.

ah! Yes I've heard of Cedarwood. Almost bought one once actually. They're nice. If you can get it for a good price you'd be happy with it.

If it's in great shape and needs nothing (except maybe a bit of touching up on the varnish), I'd make an offer if you want this type of model.

For comparison, I noticed one 15' Cedarwood in excellent shape for sale online (out East I think) and the seller was asking $2000. I don't think it's sold yet so the price appears to be high. I don't recall where I saw it but if I come across it again, I'll post the link.

Wadena,

Here are a couple recent postings to help you determine a first offer....the bottom one is the one I mentioned in my last post.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11489

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-Canoe-Chestnut-Bob-Special-W0QQAdIdZ59902241

Cedarwood was started up by Carl Jones and his son when the original Chestnut plant closed in the 70s. He did buy some original Chestnut forms but I don't remember which ones and I don't have my book handy at the moment....

And would I be correct in thinking that the serial means made in 1998?

I can't find a website for them, unfortunately.

Are they actually located in New Brunswick?

Unfortunately, I couldn't do too well on pictures because it was in a dark garage, but I may be able to post some in a while.

I can't help with the Cedarwood serial numbers. I'm not familiar with them. Sounds logical though and I'd guess it was made in 1998.

I did find this contact information:

Cedarwood Canoes Ltd.
2285 Route 105
Lower Queensbury, New Brunswick
E6L 1G2
506-363-3410
506-459-7330 Fax

You could try calling and ask about it. As far as I know they're still in operation but maybe things have changed!

Thanks!

Made a call and left a message.....unfortunately, they did not identify themselves as Cedarwood, so I don't know what I'll get. It did sound like a business answering service.

Cedarwood kind of closed their doors a few years ago. I think they sold their interest to the native reserve in Oromocto,ironically across the road from the location of the Chestnut factory that was there in the 70's.

Steven Jones is there heading up the shop trying to pass on the trade to the natives that are up for the challenge.

http://www.greatspiritcanoes.com

Jamie
Fredericton,NB

Last edited:
Good to know Jamie. The company name sounds familiar so I must have come across it in the past while but didn't make the connection...

JPembleton said:
Cedarwood kind of closed their doors a few years ago. I think they sold their interest to the native reserve in Oromocto,ironically across the road from the location of the Chestnut factory that was there in the 70's.

Steven Jones is there heading up the shop trying to pass on the trade to the natives that are up for the challenge.

http://www.greatspiritcanoe.com

Jamie
Fredericton,NB

Do you happen to have an idea of reputation or the quality of work they were doing in 1998?

Rumor or otherwise?

Thanks.

Cedarwood was selling canoes to clients all around the world.
I'm sure the quality was as good as it gets. Both Carl and Steven worked at the Chestnut factory so they've been at it for quite some time.

Jamie

Thanks much to all for all this useful information.

As it turns out, the owner has decided to let it go on the auction, which was a tentative plan all along, and to let it go with no reserve.

I now understand that there has been some advertising, although not as much as would be wise for this particular item.

Thus, in this economy and in this little farming town, I suspect this canoe may go at quite a reasonable price.

There's always the chance that the right people may show up and it will go high, so it will be fascinating to see what it brings.

With the information provided here, I will at least be able to set a limit for myself that makes good sense.

I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again.

Another thought (or two) crossed my mind.

Since the closure in 2005 of the last Chestnut company http://www.eagle.ca/~chestnut/ and now the closure of Cedarwood.......

Is anybody with such good credentials currently making canoes on the original Chestnut forms?

Is anybody at all making canoes on the original Chestnut forms?

Is it possible that nobody will ever do it again?

Do these variables mean that the canoe in question here could (since it's in original and near mint condition) be worth more than one might think?

Don Fraser in New Brunswick is still making some on original forms and he does a great job. My sister bought a new one from him a couple years back.

I'm sure the forms will end up in good homes.

Thanks, that's good to know.

And Chestnut calls itself "temporarily" closed.

Still, these are not common.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I now own a big, beautiful, red, cedar and canvas canoe that is rumored to be a Prospector. Made by Cedarwood.

Whatever it is, it sure is pretty.

:)

One thousand and fifty dollars at auction.

:) :) :)

I like it.

RedCanoe004.jpg

RedCanoe003.jpg

RedCanoe008.jpg

RedCanoe015.jpg

RedCanoe006.jpg

The bottom has a few scratches, but I still really like it.

Thanks to all those who helped me with information.

That's an auction for you, sometimes you can get a good deal......especially if the crowd doesn't really know the item involved.

I also got (for somebody else) a like new 16 foot Mad River Explorer in Royalex camo with beautiful wood trim and cane seats for $575 (that was for a friend who had said to go up to $1000 on it). I like it so much that I'm lusting to keep it for myself at that price, but I guess he gets it.

And.......a Duluth Pack and an anchor and a device that goes on the bow of the canoe and allows you to drop your anchor from amidships and three paddles and a bunch of tie-down straps.

So, the trick is to go to an auction in farm country that has some surprise canoes on the block.

Another thing......how do I know this canoe is a Prospector???

It's not marked Prospector.

Can you tell by just looking at it?

I suppose I can't ask Cedarwood what the serial number means because they are apparently out of business.

Any ideas?

I measured it and it measures like any good 16 foot tripping canoe.......35W and 16 deep.

Back