Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Cherry gunwale stock

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by JClearwater, Nov 23, 2021.

1. JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Friends,
    I will need to make new cherry inwales for the Rushton Indian Girl that I am working on. It's a 16' canoe so I need cherry stock a bit longer than that, say 17' to be safe. I found a source in Buffalo, NY, Noah's Marine Supplies, that can provide the wood but Buffalo is a solid six hour one way drive for me. We are in the Hudson Valley, Cornwall, NY. I have tried a number of more local mills but none can provide the length. I would rather not scarf the inwales if it could be avoided.
    It's possible that the board could hitch a ride on a race horse trailer on one of their trips from Canada to our area in NY but I would need someone to pick up the board at Noah's and meet the trucker on the Thruway. Alternately if someone is coming this way for Christmas maybe you could pick it up and bring it with you. Failing all that or another idea, there will be a road trip in my future. Thanks,

Jim

2. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Ask if a local mill will custom cut long lengths for you. Milling costs are cheap and that's easy to do, if they get in long logs. That way, you get fresh, un-kiln dried stock. Perhaps a lifetime supply if they want you to purchase the whole log.

3. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

Pat Smith, West Hollow Boat Co. in Naples cut 18 foot cherry for me last year.
    He may still have some wood from that log or another log available to cut. The nice thing about getting the wood from Pat (other than visiting his shop and having a nice chat) is that he will cut exactly what you want. Not many folks buck up a 16 foot log and even fewer will give you 18 feet. Most saws don't have the extension that is required.
    Naples is a bit closer but it might take just as long to get there.

4. OP
    OP
    JClearwater

Thanks Mike. I spoke to Pat this afternoon. Unfortunately he doesn't have any cherry at the moment and does not expect any in the foreseeable future. Good idea though.

The search continues. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jim

5. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

Bummer. He cuts it off of his property. Sometimes you need to wait a while for him to get a log cut, bring it to his shop and load it on the saw. I think I waited almost a year to get it from him. Part of that wait was that he needed to add the extensions to his mill to reach out to 18.
    One of my neighbors has a tree business. I had asked him to put any decent charry he cut to the side. He has a mill and can cut up to 16 feet.
    I'll check with him. That lady needs some rails.
    The bird will be in the oven by 11:00.
    Mike

6. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

Hi Jim,

If you haven't already, you might search the Woodmizer database for sawyers near you. My sawyer lives just a few miles away and he has cut lumber for me up to 24' for the old buildings I'm restoring.

https://woodmizer.com/us/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

Michael

7. Andy Hutyera

Andy Hutyera The Red Canoe Guy - Life Member

Michael Thanks for the tip! I found a great hardwood dealer that I didn't know about and he is almost in my back yard!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  8. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

And then there's this thing called facebook marketplace. Lots of small sawyers in my area.

9. David Satter

David Satter LOVES Wooden Canoes

Jim, I'm thinking you already tried Condon Lumber ?

10. OP
    OP
    JClearwater

Yes, I tried Condon Lumber early on. They have cherry but only in 16' length. I need it a little longer. I did find a local guy who said he might have a log long enough and I'm waiting on a call back. Fingers crossed...

11. David Satter

David Satter LOVES Wooden Canoes

I like splicing them. A nice 4 inch splice , glued and I put it where a fastener will go through. I put only about 4 feet or so of each outwale or inwale end into the steam box. Then I put the splice together after both ends are bent on the canoe. I measure carefully and mark where the splice goes so when I put the hot steamed piece on it lays in the correct location.