Charles River (Dedham) Canoe Livery?

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Does anyone recognize the canoe livery shown in the sign in the photo attached below? Looks like maybe "W. Breed's Canoes for Hire." It is in a photo showing a number of courting canoes, and was with a batch of photos that came from Dedham, and specifically Spring Street. There is also a photo of the Spring Street Canoe House and The Riverdale canoe house.

Thanks!
Dan

Attachments

• canoes for hire sign closeup.jpg
    canoes for hire sign closeup.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 665
Olde Irish Alehouse

Dan,

I think I have possibly heard a story about a livery on Spring St. It was located at the bridge over the Charles at Spring St./Bridge St. and next to Riverdale Park in Dedham. I know the spot well, because it is a relay check point during the Run of the Charles Canoe Race held every spring.

I think the story goes that the livery was at the site of the current Old Irish Alehouse. Look on Google Earth - it shows up next to the bridge. I think Bill Conrad here in Mass. knows of a story when they cleaned the livery out and burned a number of courting canoes. You might check with him about the story.

I am not sure the Alehouse is the original livery building, but if you can post a photo, I might be able to identify it.

The "alehouse" website doesn't appear to work. I'm assuming the establishment still exists.

Fitz.

Last edited:
Thanks Fitz,

Sounds like a pilgrimage is in order...? (I like Irish ale...)

Below is the full photo - if the story is true, just look at what may have been burned! The second photo is of the young lady in most of the photos in this collection, ranging from when she was a wee one (in a canoe) through teens or later... Also shots of the Spring Street Canoe House and The Riverdale, for kicks...

Attachments

• Canoes for Hire for web.jpg
    Canoes for Hire for web.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 638
  • Eunice and Chick for web.jpg
    Eunice and Chick for web.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 612
  • Spring Street Canoe House for web.jpg
    Spring Street Canoe House for web.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 639
  • the Riverdale for web.jpg
    the Riverdale for web.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 634
Spring Street

I suspect that the Alehouse (possibly the darker building in the rear of the first photo) is or was located in part of the original Spring St. Livery and that a portion of this building still exists. I could go by in the near future, get a beer, take a good look, and some photos.:)

It seems to me that based on the picture, the Riverdale canoe livery was located across the street and downstream from the bridge on river left, was likely razed, and was at the site of the current Riverdale Park. The topography looks the same.

Fitz.

Last edited:
Another Photo

Here is another good photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/2589575353/sizes/o/in/photostream/

2589575353_ecb6f0a576_o.jpg

The view is looking upstream. The river narrows a great deal here just below the boathouse. The Bridge is to the right in the photo.

Here is the Alehouse today. I suspect this is part of the original livery. Although, the Alehouse is close to the street and the bridge and the livery appears to be further upstream, so I am not sure.

b9d3ff6e7f8880d9f6ae431fa0928d45

169dca1dd13254acc576bf5032fce4f1

Last edited:
Did a search and found a "W. Breed's" in some old Massachusetts pastor's diary from 1787. I suppose it's possible this livery was based on some old roadhouse that dated back to the late 18th Century.

http://www.archive.org/stream/diaryofwilliambe01bentl/diaryofwilliambe01bentl_djvu.txt

"Upon our return we enjoyed the long
beach, & tried an experiment of the coolness of the water upon our
feet. We drank Coffee [189] at W. Breed's upon the right hand
going, and arrived at Salem at eight o'clock."

Yuck, look at that Moxie sign! No Coke or Pepsi out east back then? The women definately would not have found me foxy, I wouldnt drink Moxie..:eek:

Yuck, look at that Moxie sign! No Coke or Pepsi out east back then? The women definately would not have found me foxy, I wouldnt drink Moxie..:eek:

Look again Andre! There is a huge Coke billboard in the photo I posted of the Spring Street Canoe House....

No Pepsi, Coke. Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger...

Cozy

I just noticed in the photo I posted above the seating configuration for one of those small cockpit courting canoes. See the guy in the sailor's cap and gal in the canoe on the right going upstream?! Cozy to say the least. Her feet are on the coaming too. That may explain why so many coamings are broken:D.

That may explain why so many coamings are broken:D
How scandalous..:eek:
I mean, Fitz I have no idea to what you are alluding. Please explain. :D

Dan, thanks for pointing that out! Still, even three cheeseburgers wouldnt kill the Moxie aftertaste.

Hi Dan,

That is Al Breeds canoe house. It burnt down in the late 30's or early 40's he then either owned or managed the Spring Street Canoe House until it burnt down in May of 1946. From the late 1800's to about the early 30's there were about a dozen canoe houses/clubs along the banks of the Charles River in Dedham/West Roxbury.

During the height of that time, I was told that there would be as many as 1500 people canoeing and enjoying the river.

The Irish Ale House that is now Waterford's Restaurant originally was a canoe house and the name escapes me at the moment but I think it was built in the late 1800's. Moving south is the Spring Street canoe house, Moseley's on the Charle Ballroom where people would dance as well as rent a canoe, then Al Breeds then the Riverview canoe house.

There are several other but I cannot remember the names at the moment.

I do have pictures I can post if you would like?

Does anyone know when the Dedham Canoe Club was built? The original boat club off Ames street was built in 1874 and demolished in 1935. The Canoe Club burned down in 1978 -- but I can't find anything on when it was built. Any guidance is welcomed. Thanks

Does anyone know when the Dedham Canoe Club was built?

Your best option to answer this question will probably be to find and compare the Sanborn Insurance maps to see what changed during the period of your interest. The one attached below from https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3764dm.g037161917/?sp=15&st=image&r=0.425,0.212,0.914,0.512,0 shows that area in 1917. The thread at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/6860/ has some examples of how these maps were used to research the canoe companies around Old Town, Maine. Let us know what you find. Good luck,

Benson

Dedham-Canoe-Houses.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Benson -- really helpful. There is a fascinating story about the clubs, and their legacy. I'm still trying to figure out the puzzle but this really helps in that process...

It looks like the Night Owl Canoe House on Pleasant St/Ames St was built after the Dedham Boat Club was demolished (1935). It's not clear what happened between 1935 and 1972, when builder Paul Stivaletta undertook "extensive renovations" to the club/canoe house. If anyone has any insights, I'd love them. Thanks.

Back