Canoe Transport

Carlton

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm trying to get an idea what other people are doing when transporting a canoe. I'm just about done restoring a 1924 Kennebec canoe. I've put a lot of TLC getting it done and it will be on a lake this summer. I plan on taking it on some 3 -4 hour trips to throughout Wisconsin. I know I'm going to hit some bad weather and I'm worried that heavy rain storms and road grime from being towed behind the truck will mess it up and be hard to keep in good shape. I'm not worried about getting it scratched when paddling around. That stuff can be repaired. Will getting a bunch of rain water and dirt inside the canoe mess up the canvas? Thanks for your help.

Will getting a bunch of rain water and dirt inside the canoe mess up the canvas?

No, I've towed similar canvas canoes in all kinds of weather, summer and winter without any damage. A good rinse and cleaning upon arrival is usually enough to remove any dirt from the trip. Get a cover if you are worried. Sue Audette at https://www.waterworkscanoe.com/ knows all about wooden canoes and can make you a great one. Good luck,

Benson

I always place a quality marine wax on the paint of my canoes. Makes them much easier to wash. As far as a bunch of rain water and dirt inside, yes. Don't leave stagnant water in your canoe. Store if flipped over or it will work its way into the canvas creating bubbles and ruin the filler/paint/canvas. Dirt also, but you use the term a bunch. Don't forget these canoes were made to use. Probably much more then you will ever use it and wear out the canvas. A trip on a cartop will not ruin the canvas from road grime. A quality marine wax I recommend on the outside.

Water and dirt inside the canoe while trailering it?? I would think you should trailer it upside down. Who wants to take a canoe full of water off a trailer?

Al

I trailer behind a truck and have not had issues. I added oversized fenders to the trailer and mud flaps to the truck. I also modified the canoe trailer to raise the canoes about 10 inches higher in the air. If the canoe does get dirty, a light rinse solves that problem.

Back