Canoe Stripper recommedation in Maine

Blackfly

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I jumped online and saw that there are several furniture restorers in Maine that strip furniture. Are there any that forum members recommend that strip the finish from canoes. Thought that I might get a couple quotes before I attempt it myself. I stripped a flight of stairs and an entire living room floor one time and it was awful. I should clarify that the work was tedious, but the smell was awful. Thank you.

Furniture strippers will generally turn way canoes because they are too big for their shop or they are just unfamiliar with the details of stripping canoes. You want a stripper that has a long tray, usually 8 ft trays, so that will fit half the canoe can sit on the tray with room for the other half to still fit in the shop. They can strip one half and then turn it around to do the other half. That is not a procedure that they normally have to do and they may not even think they could do it.If you suggest it, it might get them thinking. To make the procedure a bit easier for them you want to remove the canvas so they do not have paint residue to deal with. All the seats, decks and hardware should be removed but leave the thwarts in place. That makes the interior access much easier.
They can strip those parts at the same time but just so they are not in the boat. Make sure all the nails, stables, and sharp points are removed or filed off, especially around the deck and rail areas, and stem bands. The stripper's rubber gloves are easy to tear and expensive and they will not be happy to run across unexpected tiny little sharp points. Double check all those areas!
If you can find a stripper to do it, what ever the price, its worth it!

Back