Canoe looking for a good home

sbennett86

My dad recently passed away. Over the last 30+ years, he restored, piece by piece as he had time, my mom's dad's Old Town/Carleton 18' wood canvas canoe.

Even after everything he did, it got so little use and he was so sporadic in his efforts that it still needs some work. I believe it's seaworthy at a minimum, and parts of it look in pretty good shape, but I have neither the time, space, money/resources, nor knowledge to undertake another restoration.

My grandfather replaced the canvas with fiberglass sometime before we brought it home in the early 1980s. It's been painted at least twice, and the inside has been re-varnished at least twice, though it could probably use it again. He re-caned the seats probably 10 years ago, but they could probably use it again. He replaced the keel, and it seems in good shape. The outer gunwales are termite-infested and need replacement - that was on his list of things he never got around to before he passed.

So I'd like to find it a good home, someone who appreciates a boat of this kind of beauty. It really is nice, just needs some work.

The canoe is currently located at my parents' home; I'm about 2-1/2 hours from there, so I can make it down if someone is interested.

At this point I'm just looking for offers. I know about what I'd like to get for it, and I can be patient.

I have the build order (found through this forum) for it. I also have pictures of it.

Thanks,
Scott

View media item 222View media item 231View media item 230View media item 229View media item 228View media item 227View media item 226View media item 225View media item 224View media item 223

While we wait for your images, here is a link to several posts that discuss valuation of canoes:
http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/how-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth.57/
As Dan alludes to, fiberglass does not enhance the value of an old wooden canoe, it detracts from it. Your family value is far greater than it's commercial value.
Most of us that are interested in (amateur) restoration avoid fiberglassed hulls except on historically significant boats... Even then we question our sanity when we tackle these projects. I just removed fiberglass from aa very rare old hull...I swore that I would never ever (EVER), ever, ever, ever remove glass from a hull again, ever...it is such a major PITA. Yes, I have one more in queue....but the canoe was given to me.
Your best bet for selling a glassed canoe is to price it very fairly with the price reflective of the work it requires (sounds like a bit) and what a comparable fiberglass canoe might be worth. Then someone will buy it as is to use it...it's not likely anyone will buy it to restore it.

Back