canoe id

Miquel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello

Ive been having a lovely education over in the serial number search, and in getting ready to work on the canoe I own, my friend and sawyer told me he also has an old wooden canoe in his barn. we crawled in and took a look and Im curious if anyone can help identify it.... the deck cutout seems consistent with what I see from chestnut, but I know very little of these things. closed gunwales says its pretty old, no? its 18' long.
some clown installed crappy seats just screwed onto the tops of the gunwales at some point, but I don't see evidence that there were actually seats originally, though I definitely could be mistaken about that.

it was a major hassle getting into the back of the barn and it would be an hour or two of work to get this thing out of the rafters and out into the sun, so the pictures I took aren't very good but were the best I cold do.

thanks for any help you can give.

Mike
jons1.jpg
jons2.jpg
jons3.jpg
jons5.jpg

I forgot to mention, there was no serial number that we could find, nor a maker tag on either deck.

Very nice boat, and you're right its fairly early. Heart shaped cut outs were used by many manufacturers, ins a lot of styles and variations. This doesnt look like a Chestnut, particularly since it seems to have a carrying thwart and to my knowledge they didnt build this way. Could be a Kennebec, or a number of others. More photos might help, maybe of the seat areas.

Thanks Andre-
Ive talked to my friend and hes pretty interested in learning more about this thing too- he and i will dig it oit in a couple weeks and take more pictures after its been dusted off- youre going to die when you see what someone did with the seats. Thankyou for the input and stay tuned.

Hi Miquel,

Could be a short decked canoe from a Charles River builder, the end of the stem has a similar shape. I'll bet there is a low serial number on the stem.

Paul

Most canoes didn't venture far from where they were made. I don't know who made the canoe, but it was probably made close to Mass. Of course, there are outliers.

Back