Canoe Hoist

martin ferwerda

W/C Canoes
How to get an 18 foot canoe off a form when there is only 1 person around, low cost canoe/kayak hoist from amazon, but handy.

Attachments

• canoe_hoist.jpg
    canoe_hoist.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 371
Yep, I have made a few home made ones, the commercial one for about $25/30 is not a bad deal and has a cam, so no need of a cleat, which in my crowded garage is helpful.
Current state of canoe attached.

Attachments

• canoe_2019.JPG
    canoe_2019.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 301
Martin, The canoe looks great. Very nice job

I am wondering what some of you guys might have in place to store the molds overhead in a garage. They are for sure much heavier and dangerous. After having to rework mine this year I will never leave mine outside again. It was under cover but still outside. It will be inside from now on. Not sure what kind of pulley system could be used to raise and lower one.

Steve

The hoist I bought is good for 125 lb, so not useful it for a W/C solid form. My Thompson form is exceptionally heavy, it has really thick gauge metal bands, and a full covering of them for the half ribs, it does not move. I can,with some wall hangers in my 2 car garage (24 x 24) fit 3 tons of pellets (I heat with pellet stove), 3-4 canoes, the non-movable form, and still get my Ford Ranger in, that pretty much fill up the garage, but of course I can move out the Ranger and do some work when I need to, and in summer the pellets are much reduced.

If you do hoist your form, I would suggest some added safetey strapping or ropes after it is up, beyond the hoist, for safety, I would really lash it up good.

Attachments

• canoe_form1.JPG
    canoe_form1.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 267
  • canoeform2.JPG
    canoeform2.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 279
I think the question would be how is the garage , and ceiling in particular, constructed. I'd love to hoist mine but there's no way i would try to spread the load over a couple of 2x4s as are the majority of newer trussed buildings. Its as tight to the wall as i can get it when not in use, agreed there is no way i would leave it ouside unless under a roof.

Well I did have it under a roof and covered up as well but it did not do it any good sitting out.

Yes I agree once I would get it up I would have some wooden cross bracing under it to support it. I just don't know how I will be able to hoist it up high enough without getting hurt. I have a bobcat, but with all of the clutter in my shop I could never get it inside. I wish I had some racks like home depo has, but on wheels. Wishful thinking...

Steve

Back