Canoe enamel, specific color

Albert F Hasis

Hello

New to the forum.

I am in process of restoring, for use, a 1947 Old Town Otca wood / canvas canoe. The canvas is stretched and tacked in place. A friend with experience helped, with this part turning out very well. After the next steps of scorching the canvas fuzz and then filling the canvas, I will be ready to prime and paint.

The original color was a dark green, which as a young boy I changed. The last color before pulling the canvas was a "burnt orange". It was a supplied Old Town color in the late 60's. I wish to do the same color but it is no longer available from Old Town.

So my question, is there a burnt orange canoe enamel available today? If so, where? I had thought about buying white canoe enamel from Old Town and then taking it to a paint store to have it colored. I would hope to find a quality enamel at a more affordable price than O.T.

Al Hasis
Pittsburgh, PA
412 884 6351
AlHasis@comcast.net

Hi Al,

One problem we all face is that traditional marine enamels are increasingly harder and harder to find. This is due to a combination of economics and VOC regulations...

Of the main manufacturers of marine paints, Interlux and Pettit have pretty much dropped their line of alkyd enamels and offer only one-part and two-part polyurethanes. You can go to their websites to get color chip charts. Epifanes and Kirby's still make enamels (Epifanes also makes urethane paints as well). Again, you can get color charts by going to their sites.

I've pretty much gone with Kirby's Paint - they have great vintage colors and I like their sheen. If you have a sample of the color you want, they will custom mix it for you.

Hope this helps...
Cheers,
Dan

About filling

I, on the advice of a restorer did not burn the fuzz off my last one. AND it came out fine. The one before--I set the canoe on fire. Luckily caught it in time. canvas can really smolder in places you don't notice. So, I am not going to singe the fuzz anymore. Not needed. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Hello Dan

Thanks for the information on paints. I have now spoken with the Kirby Paint Co. folks. Once I have a color chip, [Lowes/Home Depot], I will send it to them.

I had one other response but it was about the advisability of burning the fuzz off of the canvas. I have been told it can be dangerous to scorch the canvas. A thread might catch fire and burn across the fabric. "Dave" said that his 2nd. restoration was done with not burning the fuzz. The Kirby Paint rep. has not worked with canvas so has no experience. He did say that as long as the first coat is completely dry, a good sanding should get rid of all the fuzz that is above the paint. Do you have any experience or know of someone with a knowledge-based opinion?

I've done a fair number of canoes, and scorched a few of them. Truth is, I never saw any advantage to doing it, after all was done. The risk of a smoldering yarn, or releasing toxins if using treated canvas, outweight the advantages (if any) in my opinion.

I don't know about advantages and disadvantages, but when you take old dry wood with varnish on one side, oil on the other; then wrap it with cloth - it just seems like applying flame is the thing to do...

Fuzzy canvas!

Hi;
Thought I would drop in another 2 cents worth!........ scorched a
Sebago WC boat and at 65 OTca without problems then odered some canvas from a new source and it was shipped UPS by them.For the Chestnut....$64 post paid but untreated for 7 yards...Good quality stuff and doesnt need scorching!......... Took Rollin's advice and coated it with Cuprinol to take care of the future fungus and rot problems and am ready to fill it with the filler I got from him this past weekend.......... How about some pics to show your progress...I am starting a file on my adventure and will post them at some later date

Back