Canadian Canoe Co. (limited) SN 3007

cjbrimmer

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have an old wooden canoe from Canadian Canoe Company. I haven't been able to find a serial number site that covers numbers as low as 3007. I would like more information about this wood/canvas canoe. Any help???

Attachments

• canoe5.jpg
    canoe5.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
3rd canoe built for James Bond.
Seriously though, nothing can be determined from serial numbers attributed to Canadian, Peterborough or Chestnut canoes, only model numbers on some, which this does not appear to be. If you post some photos of construction and trim details and the dimensions it would more than likely be identifiable.

3rd canoe built for James Bond.
Seriously though, nothing can be determined from serial numbers attributed to Canadian, Peterborough or Chestnut canoes, only model numbers on some, which this does not appear to be. If you post some photos of construction and trim details and the dimensions it would more than likely be identifiable.

The canoe is 15 feet, double seat. I don't know what other dimensions would be helpful.

Attachments

• canoe2sm.jpg
    canoe2sm.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 289
  • canoe 1.jpg
    canoe 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 278
  • canoe10.jpg
    canoe10.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 301
A measurement from the gunwale height to the bottom of the canoe, using the thwart as well as the width, from the outside of a rib to one across the boat. The overall length would be from the furthest point on the stem, about halfway down typically from end to end down the centerline. Likely its the CCCo version of a chestnut chum, their name for their 15' boat was "Balmy", not a great name but a very nice boat. Would have looked better red before it was painted sky blue I'd say. Maybe Dick can date it since I've not had one with seat frames like that.

Measuring across the thwart, outside the gunwale to outside the gunwale is 33". It appears to be 11" deep. The Balmy looks like this canoe, but the cracks and areas that have worn through the outside gray coating, don't show any other color. The picture is a bit deceptive for color as it is a light gray rather than sky blue. The inside wood is in beautiful shape and has great "age". Could it be repaired or recanvased without disturbing the inside?

You can make out some red in areas of the boat, but it may have been recanvased as well at some time. Certainly it can be done without disturbing the inside, its not necessary to strip or refinish the interior unless it needs it, which this one doesnt appear to need. Here is a balmy that i redid as a chum...

Attachments

• balmy.JPG
    balmy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 264
  • balmy2.JPG
    balmy2.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 267
  • chum.JPG
    chum.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 263
Wow! You did a beautiful job on what looks like a real challenge. The boat I am researching belongs to a land trust and I must sell it. Wish I could buy it myself. It is so light compared to my "modern" canoe and I love the look and history.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Maybe if this canoe sits in my garage long enough it will decide to stay. I'm a little intimidated by the work it needs however. Could a rookie strip and varnish the outside of this canoe? Are there people that recanvas professionally? I spoke with a guy that has done several canoes in my area, but he only does them for himself. He said with all the hours invested, he couldn't possibly sell his canoes, nor could anyone afford to pay him for all the hours needed to do the work this canoe needs.

Take your canoe to V&L Strippers in Appleton to have the interior stripped. Best money you will ever spend.

Forum member Dave Osborn runs Little Lakes Canoe Restoration in Boulder Junction - he's been doing some teaching and workshops, and could be a source of materials - worth looking him up as well.

Dan

Back