Can anyone ID this one?

Mark Reuten

Wood Butcher
I rebuilt this one a couple of years ago but never did figure out who built it. Do the details look familiar to anyone?
If memory serves it was 17' loa and had a really sharp turn at the bilges.
Here's the befores:
I'll upload the afters later.

Attachments

• mapleold01.jpg
    mapleold01.jpg
    850.4 KB · Views: 691
  • mapleold02.jpg
    mapleold02.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 684
  • mapleold04.jpg
    mapleold04.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 733
  • maplesugar profile.jpg
    maplesugar profile.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 714
Chestnut Freighter Hudson?

Could theat canoe be a Chestnut Freighter Hudson? Do you remember what the beam was? The listed beam for the Hudson was 45 inches. I have a Company - the 19' model and the details look very similar. The stern assembly is the same as in your pics and the rear bar section look the same. I couldn't see the other bars. My seat is in the same relative spot as yours as well. The 19' canoe does have a pronounced tumblehome. My deck shape is not heart shaped as this one and my canoe was painted (still is too much stripping) inside.

Checking back in my notes, I find it was 16' x 36" x 14". No serial number on stem but there was a penciled set of initials under the stern seat. I neglected to write them down but I may have a photo somewhere. Here's the "afters" I promised:

Attachments

• maplenew04.jpg
    maplenew04.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 650
  • maplenew06.jpg
    maplenew06.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 638
  • maplenew02c.jpg
    maplenew02c.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 677
  • maplenew01.jpg
    maplenew01.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 666
  • maplenew05.jpg
    maplenew05.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 643
Hello Mark,

The in the photos visible construction details indicate to me a Canadian Canoe Co. Y-stern, Prospector.
The deck is typical C.C.Co. and the measurements and the seat-thwart layout fits as well.

Nice work on the restoration.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Was this whole identy question just an excuse to get pictures of the finished canoe in here???!! Nice paint work!! I would want to show them off too.
Pam

It wasn't my intention to show off but I am proud of that one. The owner was going to get a nice vintage outboard and colour match the cowling to it.
I really did want to ID it. We don't get a wide variety of canoes out here so it's nice to know what I'm working on. It was Dick who taught me how to ID a Chestnut built by Peterborough and it gives you great street cred with the customers when you can pull that one out of your hat. Just finished a 50lb special like that but I'll spare you the pictures on this one.

The deck certainly is the Canadian Huron style isn't it ? I'd like to see the pictures of the 50lb special .

The Huron decks are usualy 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick and without any crown. They are also arrowheaded, that is, the inwales stop about 6" short of the tips. Makes them real easy to replace and I rarely find any inwale problems on the Hurons. These canoes had many very smart manufacturing details.
Here's a question for anybody out there, why do the Huron decks always have one or two small common nails protruding out of the underside right up at the tip? I've never been able to figure out how these are used in the construction.

hi,
I dont remember seeing 2 small nails, but most of the time they are in really rough shape or rotted out. I will have to look a little closer next time. Very nice paint on the Y-stern mark :)

Hi Mark- Yes you are quite correct about the Huron decks but your pics don't show the difference . I've restored 3 Hurons and have another waiting . Never noticed the nails but will keep it in mind when I get to this one .

It took a few Hurons before I noticed them. A small detail, the nails all angle forward.

Attachments

• huron deck.JPG
    huron deck.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 715
I would just like to mention that the arrowhead deck is a feature of Bastien Brothers, who were just one of a number of "Huron" builders. Others, like Louis Picard, used deck/inwale joinery in the "typical Canadian" style, like that used by Chestnut. "Huron" refers to a regional group of builders rather than a specific manufacturer.

Cheers,
Dan

Quite right Dan, thanks for keeping us square.
I've never found any definative info on the Bastien Brothers. Does anybody know when they started and stopped building canoes? Early seventies is the latest I've heard from customers who bought theirs new.
I've heard they are still in busniess making snowshoes but that's just hearsay.

I thought also that Huron was a brand name used when the canoes were marketed by Sears of Canada.There were several builders under contract to supply canoes for them.Bastien and Faber are two, there may have been others. I do not know if Tremblay made canoes under contract either they may have.Have heard also that Chestnut supplied a lower grade model for the Eatons chain.Do not know if this is true but was told a person may see a Chestnut without any decals. They put a small Chestnut decal under a thwart. These canoes I think were Pals Ive seem some poorly made without decals but havent hunkered down to check under a thwart yet.
I remember seeing the canoes advertised in the catalogues as a lad. Anybody out there with a 30+ year old Sears of Canada or Eatons catalogue.

hi,
I have seen such a small Chestnut logo twice It was on the under side of thwarts. It was on a couple of canoes that needed new inner and out gunwales. At the time I thought it was a odd place for it. Thanks for another piece of the puzzle.

Back