• 55-Lb. Special "Bobs"
  • Bobs Special
  • Bob Special
  • Bob's Special

Roger MacGregor (When the Chestnut was in Flower)refers to it only as:
  • Bobs Special

Ken Solway (The Story of the Chestnut Canoe) refers to it as:
  • Bob's Special

Despite being named after Lord Roberts (nicknamed "Bobs"), I have not seen it referred to as Bobs' Special.

What is your preferred name for it and why?

I tend to call it a 50lb Special, because if it's early, it could be a Bobs or a Bantam.
But they're more likely to be later, in which case they're nowhere near 50lbs. So Bobs Special has a nice ring to it. Bob sounds too corky.

Obscenely wide for its length low bow flat sheered thin ribbed special.

So when will Chestnut be featured at assembly? when i ask the program coordinator he just swats at me.

Swat?
Chestnut was last featured in 1999

WCHA Assembly Themes and Locations

1980 1st Assembly – Clayton, NY
1981 none – Frost Natural Resources Centre, Dorset, ON
1982 none – University of Maine, Orono, ME
1983 none – University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
1984 Walter Walker? and Chestnut Canoe, Frost Natural Resources Centre, Dorset, ON
1985 none – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1986 Chestnut – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1987 Gerrish – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1988 none – St. Norberts College, DePere, WI
1989 Thompson – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1990 Kennebec – St. Joseph’s College, Windham, ME
1991 Rushton – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1992 Peterborough – Trent University, Peterborough, ON
1993 Old Town – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1994 WCHA 15th Anniversary – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1995 E. M. White – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1996 Penn Yan – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1997 Morris – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1998 Miller – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1999 Chestnut – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2000 Celebrate the WCHA – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2001 Willits Brothers – Keuka College, Keuka Park, NY
2002 Strip-built – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2003 Birch Bark – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2004 25th Assembly Anniversary & Seliga Canoes - Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2005 Lapstrake – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2006 Racine Boatworks – Keuka College, Keuka Park, NY
2007 Charles River - Keuka College, NY
2008 Peterborough/Lakefield (+Walter Walker) – Trent University, Peterborough, ON
2009 30th Anniversary & sailing canoes – Keuka College, NY
2010 Guide Canoes and Guiding Culture – Franklin Pierce University, Rindge, NH
2011 Rushton; Return to the Adirondacks Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smith’s, NY
2012 Old Town, Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smith’s, NY
2013 Thompson, Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smith’s, NY
2014 35th Anniversary “Tomorrow’s Classics” (Contemporary Professional Builders), Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smith’s, NY
2015 Morris (TBC)
2016 Kennebec (TBC)
2017 Paddles and assessories??

Nb. Carleton has never been featured

How many canoes did Chestnut build? Who built the most wood and canvas canoes? Is there a chart or graph showing the total of all of the builders?

So using MGCs divining skills and quatrain interpretation on this chart ( and some grade 5 math homework i checked through last year) if Morris was done in 1997 and again in 2015, then since Chestnut was done in 1999 will it be 2017? or taking into account 1986 should it have been 2012?
this is why i only collect unmarked boats with no serial numbers. ;)

WOW! I feel a constitutional convention if coming if Chestnut is not featured soon. When I asked about when Chestnut would be featured I was told, Kennebec, Gerrish, then maybe Chestnut was mentioned.

How many canoes did Chestnut build? Who built the most wood and canvas canoes? Is there a chart or graph showing the total of all of the builders?

No way to know how many any builder built in the absence of records, or at least a sequential serial numbering scheme.

It is probably safe to say that no one came close to producing the number of canoes as did Old Town Canoe Company.

Well, Andre, as auctioneer, maybe you should auction off naming rights - high bidder gets to choose the theme.

Ducking and running!

how about:

2017 Paddles and Accessories
2018 Chestnut
2019 Pre-1900 Canoes (which would feature the heretofore uncelebrated Carlton)

Dan, I like! Perhaps it's time to test the online auction phenomenon... Or as editor would you prefer a 500 word essay on why it should be Chestnut - gotta make for a better shirt than paddles! We just have to get Roger to okay the design...

Peterborough, Chestnut and CCC at the same time...

Can you move Morris out a year so I can get mine done? Not sure about the 3 day drive each way though.

Partly-restored and unrestored canoes are welcome at assemblies. And about that three day drive: you can pick a route that allows you to stop and say "hi" to other WCHA members, and attend meetings of far-away WCHA Chapters and join Chapter paddling-events. You can wander slowly to and from the Assembly in NY. The entire summer can become a wooden canoe extravaganza. :)

Partly-restored and unrestored canoes are welcome at assemblies. And about that three day drive: you can pick a route that allows you to stop and say "hi" to other WCHA members, and attend meetings of far-away WCHA Chapters and join Chapter paddling-events. You can wander slowly to and from the Assembly in NY. The entire summer can become a wooden canoe extravaganza. :)

I know what you mean Kathryn, I cruise Kijiji adds up here and there are dozens of nice old canoes in Ontario that I will never get to see. There are 2 out here in Winnipeg for sale, I have more in the boat house than that. I certainly doubt my employer would allow me to take the Summer off though.

We have started to ponder starting a Chapter out this way since the closest one is 2000km away.

Yes, start a chapter! Invite any paddlers (no matter what they paddle) and you may convert a few to wooden canoes.

Back