Bit of Canoe Poling in Muskoka

Murat V

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Spent a day this past week practicing poling up one of the more isolated sections of the Big East River in North Muskoka. Maybe a few of the Ontario members know it. This was my first time poling in moving water and had a blast. Most paddlers simply float down the lower section all the way to a public beach in Huntsville, but I wanted to head upstream where few people bother to go because of the multiple shallows and rapids. Had to wade through some extra shallow bits but there were sections that were pretty sweet for a novice poler. Ended up using a w/c canoe I got as part of a trade while getting rid of some unused junk on my end. Seems to be local amateur builder's efforts and the boat has been heavily repaired / restored over the years and will need work in the near future. Canvas is sound at this point so didn't feel so bad using it in the rocky shallows and for the time being, this is my user boat.

Here's my first YouTube video (3min) of some of the "action". No music or anything, just the sounds of the river. Anyway, hope you all enjoy it. Would love to see other pics of WCHAs poling their canoes.

[video=youtube;LksEctPkEvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LksEctPkEvg[/video]

Fun stuff! The rivers around me are mostly mud bottoms, so poling is a bit tougher here... though I have done some.

Nicely done, and nicely shot.
And for those not familiar with Murat's many other talents, he posted a blog on the same topic, with much more description and photos, including of a tarp shelter, etc.
All in all, a nice way to spend a day in solitude on the water.
See Murat's blog here; http://paddlemaking.blogspot.ca/

Oh how I wish I had some nice "poling bottom" like you have there. I like to play on the Fraser and nechako here in northern BC, unfortunately I can't get good poling bottom until lower water. Like last year here, looks like rivers will be in basically flood stage all summer. Hoping for levels to drop by fall, til then I'll have to search out new pastures to get my fix. Happy poling!

Back