Bedding & glazing question...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
In the past the keels & external stems I've used have been varnished, and they were varnished all over. With my latest canoe they will be painted, and I'd like to paint them at the same time I paint the canvas. My question is: should the wood & canvas have at least one coat of paint on them before I install the stems & keel? or is it ok to use the bedding on bare wood & mudded canvas. O - both the stems & keel have been treated with linseed oil already.

Howie,
I always have one coat of paint on the hull before I attach the keel. Not sure if it really makes much difference, but that's how I've always done it.
Normally I put a coat of primer on the keel before attaching it.
I suppose you can do the same for external stems.
I've always left external keels natural, although I think most were probably painted in the factory.
Dave

Thanks Dave, that's what I was planning to do anyway unless I heard differently. The keel & stems had no paint under the old bedding compound and they survived well enough. But why not use one paint coat first - maybe it would help prevent the paint from starting to peel. This canoe is a 1925 Carleton that had been extensively fiberglassed - I counted up to 4 fiber layers! While the fiberglass was a pain to remove it did seem to protect the external stems & keel as they are in fine shape. But they are not the prettiest cosmetically, hence the need to paint them. Besides I'm thinking paint will preserve & protect longer than varnish.... Guess that's a different topic.

Back