Any idea what type of canoe this is?

brishen870

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I know it is not the best photo but does anyone know what type of canoe this is to the left with the raw hide lace seats? Thanks canoe.jpg

The experts (not me) here will ask for pictures of the decks, stem profiles, and planking patterns, if the canvas is off... Also, look around the interior for any numbers stamped into the wood. Might be on the stems, thwarts, etc.

Yeah. Thanks. I am going to work on getting some better pictures. It is being stored for me by someone who did not take the kind of photos that I would have.

Nothing to get excited about, likely a Tremblay or Huron built canoe, notice the flare vs tumblehome, wide ribs etc. Quite serviceable, but unremarkable, canoe.

Worth depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want a canoe for paddling around, absolutely! If you're going to sell it, you may or may not get your investment back. Tough call...

I think I will do just that. Fix it and then paddle around in it. Less to worry about then the Rushton.

As Andre said, the canoe is serviceable... a good canoe for camping, fishing, letting the kids paddle about... but it may not be a big winner at a boat show, running against Rushtons and Charles River Courting canoes. From what the pictures show, it doesn't seem to be in tough shape and might be a good first project for someone.

Kathryn, It looked good to me but what do I know? It just seemed to be missing the canvas but I guess my father must of removed that for a reason. I have watched some of the YouTube videos on canvas replacement. How hard is it really? For someone who is fairly handy. Thanks

If canvas is all it needs, that's "a piece of cake", especially for someone who is handy. There are a couple different approaches. It's easier if you do it with another person but can be done alone. Have you checked to see if there's a chapter of the WCHA near you? A canvassing-party can be a chapter activity. Or maybe you're right around the corner from a member. WCHA people are the best, and really enjoy helping another person get a boat into the water.

I will have to check. I am in northern Delaware. Might just watch videos and read books until I feel comfortable. It looks fairly straight forward though. Thanks again.

I pretty much feel that any wooden canoe, if it is in reasonable condition, is worth putting effort into. There is a magic about a wood canoe that makes being on the water a pure pleasure. A good "beater" canoe is nice to have. As you say, less worry than a Rushton! If you have kids, you can turn them loose, and now worry about it. I am sure that when you paddled your little canoe, your father probably hovered around when you were a kid!

Mark, It looks like with canvas it would be just as nice looking as my other two boats. Maybe not nearly as much attention to detail but still nice looking. The time I spent in the small green Rushton was never alone. My father was always in it also. I don't know if that was because he was worried about the boat, me being so young or both. Because of the size of it the two of us out grew it quickly. I don't ever remember being in it past the age of 6-7. We owned a wooden kayak with some type of grey plastic/canvas cover. It was not much on the eyes but the thing could move! We also had several fiber glass canoes as well as a couple of other wood and canvas ones. I feel blessed to have so many clear memories of time spent in the small Rushton. And even more of the larger newer boats. My father loved to travel and spent many years driving down to Florida every winter for the warm weather rather then stay in the cold of NH. He drove a 1960's Volkswagen split window bus and ALWAYS carried a boat on the roof. He somehow found a way to work very little in life and would be outdoors biking and boating everyday. In fact when he was 73 he rode a bicycle back from Florida to New Hampshire. He calculated that in addition to the ride back he also rode 3000-5000 miles while there. I do some travel now and when researching places to go and driving it often brings back memories of my father and his trips. I will see a sign for a state park or a river that he would get all excited about because he had not canoed it in a while so he would detour from the big trip for a few hours or a day and do some boating. He once said he lived for boating and birding and the two went together well.

Faber?

Will attach a picture... I'm certainly not an expert in Canadian canoes, but Denis and I had one of these (not the one in the picture here though)...

Attachments

• deck Faber.jpg
    deck Faber.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 382
Not a Huron. Pretty sure it is a Faber. -Update; The Faber deck posted is from one of my Faber restorations. Can supply further pics if needed.

Last edited:
Back