antique mortising machine

Paul Reagan

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Can anyone give me some advice as to how to determine the value of an old foot operated mortising machine built in the 1880's by Seneca Falls Manufacturing Co. A search of the internet shows a picture in the Seneca Falls catalog and a picture of one (converted to line shaft operation) at a Tifton, GA museum, but I'm unable to find an estimate of value.

Paul
Give the same query over at the woodenboat forums.those fellas are crazy about tools especailly old ones.

Hi Paul,

The site you really want to go to is http://www.owwm.com/ - the Old Woodworking Machinery site. Good folks there!

I have one of these machines, made by H.B. Smith in Lowell, Mass. It was pricey, but the Victorian lions paw feet make it all worthwhile!

American Foot Power and Hand Power Machinery by Kenneth Cope (2001) gives a price range for Seneca Falls Diamond Mortice Machine at $400-750. Too bad it isn't a SF treadle scroll saw, that might go for as much as 5 grand...

Cheers,
Dan

Thank you, Dan. The photo I mentioned from the Tifton museum is from the OWWM site. I'll try the university to see if they have a copy of theAFP & HPM book. It sounds interesting.

Back