Another Old rescue 68318-17

duane miller

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Okay I've be trying to buy this canoe for years. I just finished restoring my second canoe. This one requires more research though. Now I'm more concerned because I don't see more than the 5 digits plus the 17. Here are just a few details. The canoe has beveled ribs, both caps are missing, the keel has been removed, but it is complete, only one rib is cracked through, has 2 holes below waterline about an inch, between ribs, the floor runner is intact, both locks for floor are intact, both copper/brass bow/stern trim is 100percent, has 3 thwarts, 2 caned seats. If I get a good record, I'll post the pics. Thanks

The Old Town canoe with serial number 68318 is a 17 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Charles River model with red western cedar planking, open mahogany gunwales, mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, mahogany seats, a keel, and a floor rack. It was built between December, 1921 and May, 1922. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It was shipped on May 19th, 1922 to New York City. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Is this a "good record" and how is that defined?

Benson

Attachments

• 68318.gif
    68318.gif
    172.2 KB · Views: 286
Think both good and quick, yes the seats are mohogany, cause one was broken in the last few years, by neighbor kid invaders. The floor rack is almost A- one shape. I will do a bit of scraping to see what the decks are. Macy's the big Department Store???? Do you add a note to the archives where it is now?? Also there may be the adjacent sisters, bought at the same time possibly. We think this canoe was used at the (DEFUNCT) Rolling Green Amusement Park at Shamokin Dam, Pennsylvania.

Yes, the Macy's Department Store was one of the largest Old Town Canoe dealers for many years. This forum serves as the archive of where these canoes are now. Post the serial numbers of the 'sisters' here for more information. Now how about some pictures?

Benson

Partially restored #177760

Hi, I have completed stretching the canvas and stripping the Varnish on the inside of the canoe. It has been sitting under my house for 10 years in this shape and it needs to be completed. Anyone interested? I don't know what year it is, but this is the number stamped on the bow stem. Any info would be helpful! Thanks, Shirley Reid Canoe is in Vermont!

0330120836.jpg0330120836a.jpg0330120836b.jpg0330120837.jpg0330120838.jpg0329121209b.jpg
Okay I;m going to insert new wood into the bow and stern, filling with western cedar and sculpwood, I can determine the profile using the brass trim. Also squaring up the 2 holes and redoing in more cedar, spliced on the ribs. On my other restorations the planking all were designed with 1/8 inch gaps, Old Town doesn't leave gaps throughout, but there are about 20 joints that I'm gonna fill in with Sculpwood again. I will be System Three epoxying the boat ( I hear the boos) and using fiberglass cloth. The owner prefers finish to be clear, so the first layer with the glass will be transparent. I'll see at that point how it looks, subsequent coatings might get the pigment. Also I have a picture postcard in the mail with one of the fleet (number 6) from Rolling Green Park.

I might be interested, but not this year, as I leave for a summer job in Yellowstone NP. Will look for pictures.

It turns out to be 77760, from 1923. I will post some pics. Thanks for replying.Have a good time in Yellowstone and mention my canoe to anyone in the Adirondack, Vermont areas...ShirleyIMG_5498.jpgIMG_5503.jpgIMG_5513.jpg

Duane,

I am curious to know what the white looking filler is between all of the planking and in the tack holes?

sorry I haven't looked on site for a long time, it is System Three 2 part epoxy Sculpwood. Later I stained it before applying the Glass and the epoxy resins. See the final pics, just posted.

More pics, sorry about the double one.IMGA0189.JPGIMGA0190.JPGIMGA0191.JPGIMGA0194.JPG The gunwales are redwood salvaged from a silo, with ash scarfed at the bows, because after 3 attempts in steaming, I gave up bending and cut them to shape, then when 2 of the joints broke I made metal couplings. Another problem I encountered was that the System 3 Epoxy did not LIKE the Wood Hardener (Minwax). I left the hardener cure a week before doing the epoxying, but it wanted to cloud up and micro bubble. I'm relieved the project is over and turned out mostly to my liking, I was scared to work on such an old relic, now I have to depart with it to the owner, someday soon.

Hi Shirley, she's done!! Do you still have yours unfinished?? I leave for Glacier National Park in 3 weeks, but I'm looking for next project for 2014!!

Old Town Canoe For you...

Hi Duane, The canoe is still hanging safely under my house awaiting love and attention. I think I told you taht she's been canvassed but needs new splash guards and sanding and new varnish and seats. I am here in Vermont, where are you? Call me 802 343 3664

I took the Charles River around the lake today on a farewell cruise, then delivered her to the Owner. I'm in Pennsylvania but leave for Glacier National Park in a few more days. I'll contact ya again when I get back probably in October.

Hi Duane, The canoe is still hanging safely under my house awaiting love and attention. I think I told you taht she's been canvassed but needs new splash guards and sanding and new varnish and seats. I am here in Vermont, where are you? Call me 802 343 3664

Back