Adding handles?

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi, I'm restoring a 1970's Huron built 16' cedar canvas canoe. It is marked sold in our classifieds. I had to replace the decks and built new ones out of yellowheart. The new owner doesn't want me to drill into them to add painter rings. Can I just add handles, not sure the accurate term? If so where about should they be in relation to the decks? Any picture would be appreciated. I've never owned a canoe with them.
Thanks, Gary

Gary,
You may be thinking of Carry Thwarts. If so, a search of this site or internet should give you some idea.
Dave

Hi Dave, thanks that is what I was referring to but didn't know the term.
Gary

These are very common on Canadian built canoes. You can simply single bolt them through gunnels, either flush or with a rebate on the upper side of the handle. Make sure to leave enough room between the deck and handle so your hand isn't impeded.

Attachments

• Hoisting the new AT.jpg
    Hoisting the new AT.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 248
here are some pictures of carry thwart from a 17' Old Town HW canoe, a Kennebec canoe, a Steve Ambrose canoe, a Dan Neal rowing canoe, and a UFO:
ssm IMG_0041.JPG
ssn 100_7635.JPG
ssm IMG_0037.JPG
ssm k 1.jpg
cr Ambrose canoes.jpg
ssm 100_5460.JPG
ssm 100_4160.JPG

They serve well not just for carrying a canoe, but also as a tie-down point when car-topping or for a painter. Short, and pretty close to the deck is the general practice.

Wow are per usual you all have been very helpful. Thank you for the info and pictures, just what I needed. Always enjoy learning anything about old wood canoes!
Gary

Back