Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

25 foot Wood Frame Canoe need ID- Help Identify? Photos attached

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by HudsonRiver, Nov 24, 2015.

1. HudsonRiver

HudsonRiver Curious about Wooden Canoes

We have been offered this canoe.
    What is it? Age , brand, any info would be appreciated.
    Have not found any identifiers as of yet.
    Thanks for the help.
    It is 25 feet long, wood frames and gunnels

canoe inside mid.jpg
    canoe stern.jpg
    canoe bow.jpg
    Canoe hull.jpg
    Canoe hull.jpg

Attached Files:

2. smallboatshop

smallboatshop Restorers

Appears to be an Old Town - diamond headed bolts. Should be able to find a number on the stem ends under the decks.

3. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Some of the tips for finding the serial numbers are described at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?791 which may help. Posting pictures of the numbers and surrounding areas in both ends is best if you are not sure what you find. I agree with Dan's previous message that it appears to be an Old Town.

Benson

4. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

This "war canoe" looks very restorable even though it appears to have been sitting outside for a while. It looks like it's been fiberglassed and one end has some damage, but all of that can be corrected. The good things - from the photos shown, it appears that the keel is straight and the sheerline is generally fair. You should know that war canoes may not be easy to market because of their size, but if you want a serious restoration project, this (in my opinion) would be a good one. The good folks here can offer plenty of good advice for your own work, or point you to excellent full-time or part-time restoration experts.

Michael

5. smallboatshop

smallboatshop Restorers

I agree with Michael, a good project for restoration. We recently did a 1922 Old Town war canoe for a local girls' camp. It was a bit different as it didn't have a keelson as yours does. Here are some photos: http://smallboat-shop.com/camp_pinecliffe.htm

Dan