1973 Tremblay Verolite - preserving it

RChiCanoe

Hello

All of a sudden, over 30 years after my last canoe trip, I am the proud owner of a 1973 Tremblay Huron 16 footer. It has been stored for many years safely in a barn out of the sun and dry.

It is in what I think is excellent shape.
I would like to keep it that way.

After doing a bunch of reading it seems that my biggest exposure is water from the inside of the canoe getting trapped between the wood and the verolite treated canvas cover, causing the wood to rot.
My thought is to do something to the inside that will prevent water seeping through to the canvas and getting stuck by the verolite.
All I can think of is varnish.
Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Thanks

Last edited:
Verolite was a good idea with one serious flaw for use as a hull covering it keeps the wood of the a canoe hull wet and promotes rot.

As I understand it, the problem with Verolite is not that water seeps through the canvas to wet the planking, ribs, and the inside surface of the Verolite. The basically impermeable vinyl of the Verolite is pretty good at preventing water from passing through the canvas -- in either direction. The problem arises from water that gets into the canoe from splashing, rain, etc., and then seeps down between the openings in the planking and wets the wood and fabric. Trapped between the wood and the Verolite, the water cannot readily dry out, and instead stays around a long time and promotes rot.

I cannot think of any way to prevent this. Some paddlers may be able to keep all water out of the interior of a canoe at all times, but I am certainly not one of them, and I don't think I know anyone who can -- which is basically why Verolite is no longer used.

Back