Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1927 Canoe Race Silent Film

Discussion in 'Books, Videos, and the Like' started by Murat V, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Murat V

Murat V Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Came across this neat silent film footage of a canoe race from 1927. Loads of W/C canoes that experts might be able to ID. The portage methods starting at the 0:52 mark will probably make most of us cringe...

[video=youtube_share;Ueeb-AC6Mkc]http://youtu.be/Ueeb-AC6Mkc[/video]

2. H.E. Pennypacker

H.E. Pennypacker LOVES Wooden Canoes

At the very start, there appear to be Morris, Old Town and Charles River-area canoes, and later one that looks Canadian with peaked decks (racing-type Canadian canoe). But at a glance, it looks like there are a lot of canoes from the Charles River area - short decks and long decks. Any info on where this video was shot? On the Charles River, perhaps? See this from a couple of months ago:

http://medford.wickedlocal.com/article/20140523/Sports/140527833

3. Larry Meyer

Larry Meyer Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

The opening credits say Medfield, a starting point on The Charles. The first wide area of river maybe be Populatic Pond. The first bridge I think I recognize, as well as the put-in after, as points just after Pop Pond. Which boat house it is, i don't know.

4. woodcanoenut

woodcanoenut 1914 Old Town Charles River

Neat!

Thanks for sharing!

5. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

The canoe house at the end is most likely the Spring Street Canoe House in West Roxbury.

Attached Files:

6. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

There was a great silent film showing a race down the Rapid River in Maine shown at the Assembly in NH. I don't remember the details, but many would cringe at the thought of these canoes running that stream, but they did.

7. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Great film-- thanks for sharing! Love all the added information too.

8. Ben Fuller

Ben Fuller Curious about Wooden Canoes

Wicked good paddling high kneel paddling technique, different from today's sit and switchers.