1916 B.N Morris 18'

Christopher Lovell

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all,

I bought this 1916 B.N. Morris 18' canoe from a gentleman in New Hampshire this past weekend. All original, tight canvas, only needs exterior prep and paint. Complete with original seat backs and floorboards. Bow floorboard toggle was lost and was replaced with wood. Otherwise pristine!

Can anyone help me with a model and type? It's hard for me to visualize the different models and types without seeing them.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5145.jpg
    IMG_5145.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_5146.jpg
    IMG_5146.jpg
    761.7 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5150.jpg
    IMG_5150.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_5151.jpg
    IMG_5151.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_5153.PNG
    IMG_5153.PNG
    871.3 KB · Views: 314
It would be nice to display that at the Alton Bay Boat Show in August. I believe Ill make it with a couple canoes as long as it does not get canceled.

It seems that there is a blue tinge under the green paint. I haven’t investigated whether it is an old repaint or whether it is some sort of degradation of the original green.

In order to be useable the boat will need a paint restoration. I won’t touch anything else except to clean it. The original canvas is intact and tight, as is the filler.

What would painting the hull do to value? Is it better to leave it alone and treat it as a museum piece?

What would painting the hull do to value? Is it better to leave it alone and treat it as a museum piece?

This is really a personal choice. It is best to do nothing if your plan is to sell or donate it. Most members of the WCHA like to paddle canoes so accept that new paint, varnish, and even canvas replacements are normal maintenance. These tasks generally don't negatively impact the value if they are done well. See https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/57/ for more details about valuing old canoes.

Benson

Last edited:
The photo that shows the deck decal also appears to show green pant on the outside rail. That suggests that the boat has been re-painted. It is possible that the original canvas is intact. The original outside stem rivets look like they might be present.
It is possible to carefully remove paint from a canvas to reveal whatever is underneath. If the canvas and the filler are still good it might be worth the effort. Otherwise if you plan to use it, you might want to be more thorough in your restoration. You would want to protect it from sun and water...

The original canvas rivets are in place. The stem band is painted over so I believe there is a working repaint. Everything else is untouched.

Back