18' OTCA SN 18494 18 - AA grade

Old_Paddler

Canoe nut
Picked up another canoe today. 18' OTCA.
What can you tell me about it?
Has rub rails with brass band on both sides.

20180208 (1).jpg
18494 -18.jpg
20180208 (5).jpg

Benson,
Not that I question you, but this originally had three thwarts, I thought the Molitor had no thwarts.

Do you have a build sheet for this?

It's in pretty decent shape for its age and I was surprised by the brass bands on the rub rails and along the entire keel.
It also has a burgee socket. I'm guessing this was "top of the line?"

Thank you,
Russ
20180208 (2).jpg
20180208 (3).jpg

Benson,
Can you translate what it says by "Grade" on the build sheet?
Also, can you make out the comments at the bottom?
Thanks,
Russ

Can you translate what it says by "Grade" on the build sheet?
Also, can you make out the comments at the bottom?

The grade is "Indian Princess" which is the Carleton version of Old Town's AA grade. The color was originally to be the design number 23 as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/designs/design23.gif but then changed to dark red. The writing on the bottom probably says something like "Rub rails ... along the rails, bang plate full length of keel, 1/2 inch gold ... stripe ... edged ..." See http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?attachments/29365/ for a similar description. The Old Town store is closed until April so we can't get a better scan of the original record until after that. Sorry,

Benson

Benson,
Thank you very much for your help.

I put a thwart (not mahogany) in to replace the broken one and an oak board in where the missing thwart was to stabilize it.
Unfortunately I can't keep it in my garage as it only barely fits at an angle and I'm going to have to put it on my outside rack which is covered, but will be subject to the cold.
It's been indoors for years and I'm hoping it doesn't do any damage.

I measured the decks and width - bow is @36", stern is @23". It's @36" wide. Are there any other measurements you would like me to make?

Thanks again for your help.
Russ
a (5).JPG

Attachments

• d (5).JPG
    d (5).JPG
    147 KB · Views: 299
  • d (6).JPG
    d (6).JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 336
Benson, thank you for your help, just sold the canoe to Nick Dombrowski's brother.
Very glad that this rare canoe is going to someone who will appreciate it and will restore it.

Back