Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

17' Chestnut Prospector?

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by 8inchlynch, Oct 16, 2020.

1. 8inchlynch

8inchlynch New Member

Good day,

Just looking for confirmation for what make of canoe I picked up today.

I own a couple canoes back east in NB that I use at my camp but I live in ON most of the year now and I have been missing being on the water.

I found this for sale a few minutes away and jumped on it. It just spoke to me. Looking for advice also....am I ruining good history by slapping paint on it and fixing a few things? I'm handy but no boat builder.

Thanks in advance. 20201016_155719.jpg 20201016_155723.jpg 20201016_155729.jpg 20201016_155756.jpg

2. paddler123

paddler123 Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Sure looks like one to me. Is there any hint of a decal on the bow deck? Canoes were meant to be used, and the Chestnut Prospector in particular is a capable and rugged workhorse, so by painting and fixing it up you're honoring the original intent of the builders, not ruining history.

8inchlynch likes this.
  3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

The carrying thwarts at each end usually are typical of Chestnut's Cruiser model canoes.

4. OP
    OP
    8inchlynch

8inchlynch New Member

Ty for the replies. I did not notice any decals on the deck...is there anywhere I can look for a serial number or other indication of model?

Also, how would one know what the age is? I understand either model would have been over many years.

5. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

8inchlynch likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    8inchlynch

8inchlynch New Member

Amazing resources thank you so much!!