16' Old Town from 1933.

Ron Bedard

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello,
I've got the canoe mentioned above. I began restoring it because we (my wife and I) thought we would prefer it to the 18' guide model I restored last year. We've since been on several outings where the room for four in the 18 footer seems too nice to give up. We trailer the canoe so the weight is no trouble.
On the 16 footer, I've repaired the tips and related planking, and have steam-bent 3 of four ends of the new gunnels. I've also re-caned the seats and refinished them and the thwarts. The plan was to move on to re-finish of the inside, and new canvas, paint, etc.
Here's the dilemma. I've acquired a 1949 PennYan runabout that I'm much more eager to restore. It's 14' long and is of canvassed plank on frame construction. I've placed this boat ahead in line for my attention, and when and if I do get back to the canoe, it'll only be in order to sell it.
I'd like to know whether anyone might be interested to have the canoe in the state it's in for a few hundred dollars. The freshly caned seats and the thwarts might be worth that. I've wrapped and stored it in Dracut, Mass.
If interested, respond here, and we can move the process along.
Thanks,
Ron

Sorry,
I’ll pursue this elsewhere. Actually had resigned myself to giving it away.

Back