15 foot Chestnut - thoughts?

Sounds like it would be a good fit,

be sure and post some pics after you get it so we can "live through you".
Nothing better then looking at pics of old canoes, especially if they are being paddled.

Dan

I see a lot of Chestnuts. If the canvas is good and the gunnels and ribs are intact then it is easily worth the asking price. Most canadian canoes are undervalued. Early 70s aint late 70s.
Check the boat for fairness by looking from the bow and stern along the bottom looking for hardpoints that signify broken ribs or planking.
Look from the top to see if the gunnels have hard points signifying breakage.
Feel midships under the gunnals for soft or rotten ribs.
Feel the canvas near the stems for paper thin canvas that tears away like paper signifying canvas rot.
If none of the above buy and use the canoe.
Interior refinish can come later but remember that the wood must be protected by varnish or paint (easy to do unless you are doing a total refinish, and then it is a satisfying project.)
$ 1500.00 is not unusual in a recanvas and repair project in a professional shop.
John
Thanks John, very useful advice!
The older couple selling the canoe keeps telling me to wait a little longer (their garage is full of stuff and they need time to clear things out so I can take the canoe out). If/when I AM able to buy it, I'll be sure to post pictures and let you know what I find from the inspection.
Cheers.

I can relate.

I bought a canoe in Jersey in August of '08 but couldn't bring it home until November. The garage it was stored in was packed full of junk, floor to ceiling, front to back. The canoe was hanging in the back and there was no way the 80 year old woman and I were going to get it out short of moving all that stuff. I had to wait until they cleaned out the garage. Patience, patience. It was worth the wait. Good luck.

Jim

Still waiting...

Looks like I may have to wait a while. The couple selling me the canoe are having extensive renos done to their house and now the garage is full of tools and equipment belonging to the contractors, and the canoe won't be accessible for viewing and hauling away for a few weeks longer. I had a window of opportunity the day before the major renos started, but at that time the garage was full of other stuff and the owners weren't too keen on moving it. Anyway, canoe is hanging on the wall and will be there for me to look at in due time...

Look forward to have pictures and a report for you once the coast is clear.

Back