My First Old Town Canoe and Family Legacy

Ryan Feero

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello WCHA! I already posted something similar in the Serial Number search. I'm hoping maybe @Benson Gray will be able to help me. But I wanted to post an introduction here, too.

My name is Ryan and my grandpa was born in Bangor and grew up in Alton, Maine just 10 miles from Old Town. My family were potato farmers in Alton and my grandpa used to talk about the Penobscot, Old Town, and what it was like growing up there. He eventually came to Oklahoma City, while in the Navy, and married my grandma. He would often chuckle and say "how on earth did a Maine kid wind up with a city girl in Oklahoma?" He had 4 kids in Oklahoma and eventually I came along.

Flash forward MANY years and my dad moved us to Arkansas. I'm married now and have a growing family of my own that hunts, camps, and canoes in Arkansas and Missouri. I've always wanted an Old Town canoe, even had one as my groom's cake for my wedding! This month is my one year anniversary and my wife and I will be picking up my first Old Town canoe this coming weekend.

I found a 1983 Old Town Tripper for sale in Nebraska from the original owner. He bought it in 1983 and it saw waters mostly in Minnesota and Wisconsin. It has been garage kept and appears to be in excellent condition. The couple is retired and have decided to sell it for $600, which appears to be $175 less than the sticker price in the 80's! We're both very excited to go pick it up and take it out on the water for our celebration.
118631204_10219586033414225_6299744627320361627_n.jpg

Back